SAR Info/Advisory

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SAR Info/Advisory

Post by maverick »

Was contacted by one of my SAR contacts at the NP, asking me to pass on the following info, so everyone is made aware of the difficulties the agencies are working with, and the things for you to keep in mind, as you plan your backpacking trips.

Helicopter rescues into the wilderness are by no means assured.

SAR are facing risk/benefit decisions because of the COVID 19, a larger breakout could temporarily leave areas without available responders.

50% of EMS helicopter companies are refusing to transport anyone with COVID symptoms, which complicates matters.

In this coming fire season, taking COVID precautions, and dealing with smoke exposure at the same time, will be extremely challenging for helitack crews of H-551/552.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: SAR Info/Advisory

Post by SSSdave »

This single person with no dependents is fine with no rescue, no SAR, you are on your own, could end up dead, wilderness trips. Just like in my early years, and with all our ancestors roaming into the beyond. The current era umbilical cord mindset gnaws at my sense of the way it ought to be.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are options between being left to die and requiring a helicopter rescue. In the "old days" we went in groups, so in event of injury one person stayed with the injured, two went out for help. That help may be rounding up a group of friends to rescue. I have been in groups that carried an injured person out of the wilderness 20+ miles on a home-made litter made of backpacks and long thin logs. Nowadays you have communication devices. Instead of pushing help button that automatically sends for rescue, make a plan with your friends or family on an assisted self-rescue. One can often hobble out, particularly if you have trekking poles. I do wonder how many helicopter rescues nowadays are not absolutely necessary, but just precautionary. We used to assume we would have to self rescue, some way or another. The chance of needing a rescue probably is in the range of getting seriously ill from COVID-19- in the 1-2% range if that at all. So;

1) be very conservative with route plans and do not take stupid chances, be willing to retreat when things look to be dicey
2) always safer to be in a group, preferably 3-4 people
3) have some emergency food if you have to sit it out for a few days
4) learn wilderness first-aid
5) take trekking poles for those somewhat minor leg and foot injuries that you could, given enough time, get yourself out
6) be able to communicate with those at home
7) leave a travel plan at home, stick to the plan, have good written instructions on what family and friends should do if you are late

Or has said previously, simply do not expect any help if you get hurt. If the risk is not comfortable for you, stay home.

This may be the time to stay more on trails, postpone the really difficult off-trail plans, take shorter trips. Fish more, climb less. After all, backpacking is just walking and camping. I have always felt long day-hikes are actually more dangerous than backpacking. Stay focused and really pay attention when on the trail. Most the times I have had near-misses is when I let my mind wander or let myself get too tired. Never hike to the point of exhaustion; never know when you need that reserve. We used to say, "there are no accidents, just bad choices".
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well said WD. I'd add in a nice length of duct tape and some M&Ms.
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by kursavwilage »

Great advice Daisy.

Great advice SSSdave.