Question: Descending into Tehipite from Crown Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question: Descending into Tehipite from Crown Valley

Post by hurricaniac »

See my post of TV trip last July. The switchbacks are knee pounders, you will be punished. Saw two rattlers next to Crown Ck. near MF trail crossing.
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jmherrell »

This topic has pretty much run its course but I thought it would be useful to add one detail. I don't generally have problems with steep trails, I have good knees and pretty strong quads. My main memory of these switchbacks was the large number of big steps, very tiring both down and up.
OpenSkiesBeckon
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by OpenSkiesBeckon »

If it helps, I think you've made a wise decision to explore out of Courtright or similar with less drastic elevation change. TV is just a ton of elevation to deal with less than a year after your procedure. And it's so remote, if you get into trouble, that can compound the situation.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

If my work with a trainer is of any note, having strong quads doesn't mean anything for preventing injury. You want good toe and glute strength, as well as good flexibility and walking habits.