TR: Emigrant 7/4-7/5

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Emigrant 7/4-7/5

Post by venturefar »

I did a quick overnight into the Hyatt Lake out of Crabtree for the 4th of July.

I made it across Cherry Creek a ways upstream of where the trail crosses and heads up to Rosasco (38.15087- 119.81671) Here the creek separates into multiple channels the deepest/swiftest being about knee deep on me. This has been my go to crossing when the water is high. There's an erratic sitting on slab that help me locate the crossing year after year. On my return I crossed in the afternoon at the normal trail crossing and found it waist deep and swift. It was doable but probably would not be comfortable for shorter people or those without much wading experience.

The trail up to Rosasco is wet but it was easy to follow with all the ducks somebody spent some time stacking. There was some snow at the very top of the ridge above Louse Canyon. I made my way around the tarns southwest of Rosasco before climbing over a small saddle and into the canyon I would follow down to Hyatt.

I hiked on granite all the way down to Hyatt and made camp on the south side of the lake. I woke up Friday morning to complete calm making for some awesome reflections on the lakes surface. There were some mosquitos right at dusk but they weren't yet unbearable. Another fun trip to the closest wilderness to home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@aguabonita
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Emigrant 7/4-7/5

Post by windknot »

Nice! Thanks for sharing the report and great photos.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Thank you for the report! I've somehow missed Hyatt all three times I have been in the area. I've got to get there!
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by justm »

I just got back from there. I didn't see anybody for 2 days ! The crossing at Cherry creek was pretty easy, with a little exploring. There's logs that get you over the worst of it, combined with a little easy wading. From Hyatt , I went cross country via Pingree lake to Coyote and dropping down to Woods lake. Lots of snow at Woods , especially the south side . Woods creek trail has lots and lots of snow, but pretty easy to walk on at this time. Crossing woods creek below the damn was pretty easy . Maybe knee deep , but running fast. The trail from woods up to lower Buck is totally snow covered, and I mean deep snow, like 3 to 5 feet still.