SEKI Loop Timing and Critique

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

SEKI Loop Timing and Critique

Post by tekisui0 »

Hello!

Thanks for taking a moment to read... I'm going to start a 2 week loop around either Aug 6 or 13, and ideally I'd like to hit snow around 12k' or so. I'm flexible with the route, timing, and open to suggestion, but am coming from out of state so need to fly into Fresno and buy my ticket in the next week... going to catch the bus from FAT to Lodgepole...

So far I'm thinking either:

A)
Wolverton>Tablelands>Ferguson Crk>Roaring Rvr>Cloud Cyn>Colby Pass>Kern Kaweah>Upper Kern>JMT>Wallace Crk>Picket Crk>Kaweah Basin>Kaweah Pass>Chagoopa Plateau>HST>Kaweah Gap>Panther Gap>Wolverton
or
B)
Wolverton>Tablelands>Ferguson Crk>Roaring Rvr>Cloud Cyn>Colby Pass>Kern Kaweah>Picket Crk>Kaweah Basin>Picket Crk>Upper Kern>Forester Pass>Bubbs Crk>Sphinx Crk>Avalanche Pass>Roaring Rvr>Deadmans Cyn>Elizabeth Pass>HST>Wolverton

My main goals are wilderness seclusion and intense beauty. I'm an exp level 3+, comfortable with class 3 for moderate stretches, but I don't love a lot of hardcore exposure and prefer not to spend long days totally above tree line. I love the trees, creeks, lakes as much as the big rock face. I almost always hike solo and try to minimize my high passes whenever possible. For this trip I'm especially interested in the Roaring River Canyons, Kaweah Basin, and the Upper Kern, and plan to take 2 zero days. Even though I'd like to see a bit of snow I'm trying to go as light as possible, so would prefer not to bring crampons and axe, and definitely don't want to rush. Also, I've already seen the Hamilton Lakes and Upper Big Arroyo, not that I'd mind finishing up going through there...

Right now I'm thinking Route B sounds awesome, but maybe a bit much...
Please let me know what you think about the route, issues, problems, when I should leave, time/distance balance, etc...

Thanks!!
Jason