Favorite wilderness area?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Npike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Favorite wilderness area?

Post by Npike »

just curious what everyone’s favorite “area” would be. I haven’t been to too many areas so far, and I’m curious where everyone’s “default” hiking/ backpacking areas are. Also, do you think certain areas are defined by certain characteristics? For example, are some wilderness areas (John Muir wilderness, golden trout) more likely to be lower elevations? More Meadows? Jagged peaks? Or is where you hike based on time constraints?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Favorite wilderness area?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Different places are good in different seasons. I go to the Emigrant, Yosemite & Ventana wilderness the most, but I live near San Francisco and they're great early season. East side spots are best in the fall, when roads to get there are open and their aspens are on fire. They've all got their own charms.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

My log shows out of 203 backpacks, 61 solely into John Muir W and another 17 into John Muir W plus Kings Canyon thus 78 into John Muir Wilderness. Next closest is Yosemite wilderness with 38 trips.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We do Emigrant a lot because we have a cabin nearby....but Hoover, Ansel Adams, John Muir, Yosemite, SEKI....

Why choose one?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Anywhere Sierra between Kennedy Meadows south...and Kennedy Meadows north.
Mountainman who swims with trout
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

markskor wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:04 pm Anywhere Sierra between Kennedy Meadows south...and Kennedy Meadows north.

Nice answer! :thumbsup:

But I would also add in Carson Iceberg....and the Canyon of the Mokelumne, too!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Obviously all Wilderness areas are good, but my favorites have a lot to do with the distance from my home, fishing opportunity, solitude, ruggedness and scenery so John Muir, San Rafael, Dick Smith and Silver Peak in that order are at the top of the list for now. John Muir is the farthest but has the best of everything I like.

And please, no compromises to the Wilderness Act!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Choosing a favorite wilderness area is akin to asking a parent to choose a favorite child. Almost anywhere and everywhere I've visited that's wilderness and the opportunity for solitude. For me, the most visited is Point Reyes since it’s 20 minutes from my house.
Last edited by LMBSGV on Mon May 27, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

The one I am in at the time?

Most of us probably have proximity bias to the closest one. That would be Caribou for me, although the mosquitoes limit access to a only a couple months per year.

A lot of new wilderness gets added to the system with each new administration. Some of them leaves me scratching my head with "Why was this area added? Definitely not unique or pristine." If we regard the National Wilderness Preservation System as the crown jewels of our public lands, why are we devaluing the collection with cheap plastic trinkets? Let's emphasize quality over quantity.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

dave54 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:21 amA lot of new wilderness gets added to the system with each new administration. Some of them leaves me scratching my head with "Why was this area added? Definitely not unique or pristine." If we regard the National Wilderness Preservation System as the crown jewels of our public lands, why are we devaluing the collection with cheap plastic trinkets? Let's emphasize quality over quantity.
The counter to this is that a lot of new wilderness needs to be added in the East. The West is full of these types of recreational areas, while there's a paucity of options back east.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.