4th Matthew Greene Search 9/4-9/8/19

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 4th Matthew Greene Search 9/4-9/8/19

Post by maverick »

I haven't decided on the dates yet. Timing will depend on the snowpack and fire/smoke conditions. How much of a lead time would you need to be able to fly out, Jason?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
narkj
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by narkj »

A month maybe. Thanks. Apparently there's already been some snowfall in Mammoth, right?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, but nothing significant, and you can't see it from all the smoke anyways. :\
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I received a text from Dean Rossnau that he found a rappel cordellette in one of the chutes between Starr and Riegelhuth minaret. He's asking if anyone in our group left one there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
srb
Topix Novice

Post by srb »

Hmmm, I am a bit confused by that description. There's some fairly obvious noise in these tracks, but here's where the group I was in went: https://caltopo.com/m/RRU98. I hope this helps.
narkj
Topix Acquainted

Post by narkj »

Hey all, Jason Nark here. Looks like I’ll have a published piece in The Alpinist by the end of the year. Currently in the editing phase and then being the Alpinist, and zero to no climbing experience, some of my terminology is off.

I had mentioned that Matthew traveled west each summer to climb “technical routes”. Does is there are more detailed way to describe that? Class 4? Does anyone recall specific climbs or summits Matthew made that impressed you? How would you describe his climbing?
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Jason,

For me personally, what stood out most about Matthew's climbing was his get out there and do it sort of mountaineers attitude, his obvious love of climbing and the Sierra. Not so much any one particular climb. One climb that stands out though, that I believe he did, is Clyde Minaret named after Norman Clyde (also a teacher). Class 4 with the Minarets' notorious bad rock, but a beautifully aesthetic tower.

I think he did a combination of alpine scrambles and technical climbing, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Since he was out solo before his disappearance, he was doing alpine scrambles. Hope that helps just a little.
narkj
Topix Acquainted

Post by narkj »

Thanks. That’s helpful.
narkj
Topix Acquainted

Post by narkj »

Common Loon, forgive me, but were you on the search I was on and if so, what's your full name.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Yes... I was on the last one, in the Minarets. Paul Sumner. Clark and Henry are my good friends, and we checked some of the summit registers (also w/ Scott). PM me if you need any more info.