show me your dog!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
jlweinberger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: show me your dog!

Post by jlweinberger »

rlown wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:14 am nice looking dog! Sitting on the snow shows fortitude. :) What pack will he wear?
Based on all the recommendations here we're looking at the ruffwear pack. He already has a ruffwear sleeping bag, but based on his contentment in snow, large size, and thick coat he hasn't shown much of an inclination to use it yet.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

My Border Collie does not use a sleeping bag, but I got her two warm fuzzy dog blankets. She seldom uses both, and often she will even shed one. She prefers to cuddle up next to my sleeping bag.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

439.jpg
Dog without pack.

425.jpg
Unhappy dog with pack.

409.jpg
Two dogs, one stick.

376.jpg
Backcountry Pass with dogs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Great Looking Dogs Everybody! Here is my German Shorthair Pointer, "Bo". He is about 5, and has done quite a bit of backpacking, fishing, and even bagged 10 easy peaks. Great dog! Will go all day.
redbo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great picture, and he sounds like a great dog. What's that orange deal on the collar?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Harlen wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:41 am Great picture, and he sounds like a great dog. What's that orange deal on the collar?
He wears a bird dog collar made by Garmin w/a beeper. I can transmit a signal to him from up to half a mile away, if the line of sight is adequate, and he will hear a chirp when I transmit. He knows that chirp means he has gotten too far away, and he is to backtrack to me. The audio beeper is very loud, and sometimes when I am in a remote area w/few or no hikers around(which is most of the time!), I will turn it on to keep track of him. All this is for his own safety, so he always comes home w/me safe.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Simba always wears his electronic collar now. I think he has early onset doggy dementia. Started ignoring me. Wouldn't even get in the car yesterday. Weird as it is one of his favorite things. He does so much better in terms of listening to commands off leash and on the electric collar. Leash tends to put him in "protect Russ" mode.
Nice looking dog, richlong8! Pointers are so full of energy!
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Thank you. Our dogs are easy to love!
Jason-Julius
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by Jason-Julius »

I see these two Beauty and I loved it. I have a dog name Marko it is a German breed and Marko is my love of my life, I didn't know how to posts photos of it but I can tell you he was amazing.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

take a picture. save it on your PC. log into HST and go to this thread. put in text using the full editor mode. at the bottom of the page you will see attachments. click on the tab. it will allow you to upload the picture. after uploading the pic, position your cursor below the text and then pick place inline. use the preview button to see if it shows. you might have to resize your photo to under 2Mb, which is fine for web display.