show me your dog!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: show me your dog!

Post by fishmonger »

Indigo seems unconcerned of heights. I hope I can work some of that into her over time. She sees a steep drop-off to the creek where the last flood undercut the bank, and she obviously wants to use THAT spot to get down... She's 10 months and a puppy. Everything is possible until somebody gets hurt.

I will try super hard to have a few weeks of time to myself next summer. If I had my pick, I'd be there in August through late September or even October. At this time, though, I have absolutely no idea what will be a priority next summer and if I will be able to make choices about when I can get away from the Midwest.

I'd love to meet up with experienced mountain dogs and learn. There are so many things I am not sure about - booties? Sierra granite is like rough sandpaper so how do pups handle that? Or is the grit that gets into booties worse for them? How far can they go ? Indogot seems to go forever, and then suddenly she won't go. Off switch. Break, sleep. Must rest. :)

Tent space - I guess the 3 person Big Agnes Copper Spur will get another whirl. Food? What to bring for the pup? Can she just drink away in giardia streams? Right now I can't even stop her from liking puddles on the sidewalk while we're walking.

One thing is for sure - she's got exploring in her DNA. And getting to the highest point anywhere is also very exciting for her. Our little sledding hill has been one of her favorite stops She sticks her nose in the wind and keeps that eye on the skyline, Jeremiah Johnson style :)

Keep your nose in the wind...

Didn't get a PM from you, just FYI in case something didn't work right. My inbox does have room.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Sadly, I have the reverse problem, as dear old Bearzy has come down with a seizure disorder, likely caused by a brain tumor, which is horrific, and has kept me out of the mountains caring for him. I wish us both better luck with health, Fish. Hopefully, Ian.
He's had a hell of a life, 10 years full of of mountains and beaches, but we wanted so much more time with him.
Vet., writer, and dog lover James Harriot said: "It is always said that however many wonderful and happy years a dog lives, you know that one day, the day he dies, your dog will break your heart."

Ian, I am sorry to hear about Bear. I enjoy seeing him in your stories. :bear:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Her first class 2 summit

Between summit pushes, you can find her here:

The ferocious Belgian Malinois