TR: Kearsarge to Cottonwood July 30-August 8 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Kearsarge to Cottonwood July 30-August 8 2018

Post by Mike M. »

Really enjoyed your trip report.

I did a leisurely loop last year beginning the second week in August from Horseshoe Meadows. It included much of the itinerary you had hoped to do. One day I'll post a trip report. Got some great photos at Wales Lake, Picket Guard Lake, Crabtree Lakes, Crabtree Pass, and Miter Basin. The drought was evident everywhere -- Rock Creek was barely flowing and the water levels in the three Crabtree Lakes were the lowest I've ever seen. Lucked into a mostly smoke-free hike, until the final few days.

Regarding your injury -- I fully empathize. Getting older is such a pain. I pulled some groin muscles early in my 2020 hike and had to re-jigger my itinerary but at least stayed on the trail and managed to enjoy myself. Last year I was extra careful and went out of my way to plan the hike so I did the hardest hiking towards the end of the trip, when my load was lightest and my body trial hardened. This year I had to cancel the annual hike due to prostate surgery.

Forester Pass is one of my all-time favorites. I love that wide-open country.

Looking forward to next year --

Mike M.