Desolation loop: would love feedback on route planning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Desolation loop: would love feedback on route planning

Post by mangomegan »

We are thinking about a loop out of Glen Alpine TH (Fallen Leaf Lake).

Night 1: Gilmore Lake

Day 2: Dayhike to summit of Mt. Tallac
Night 2: either stay at Gilmore, or move to Susie Lake

Day 3: hike to Lake Aloha
Night 3: camp at Aloha

Day 4: hike out to car

We have 2 kids (almost 9 and almost 12); I'm having a hard time finding mileage info between the above lakes, and also wonder about elevation change and trail conditions. Does this itinerary sound do-able?

p.s.-- we've already done Tamarack Lake out of Echo Lakes, FYI
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Desolation loop: would love feedback on route planning

Post by davidsheridan »

Mileage (taken from Desolation Wilderness guidebook written by Jeffrey Schaffer)
Glen Alpine - Susie 4.1
Glen Alpine to Lake Aloha - 6.1 miles
2.2 miles between Gilmore and Susie (some ups and downs, but no significant elevation change, same with route to Aloha, not too much elevation change)
4.5 from Glen Alpine to Gilmore (Day 1 hardest day with approx. 2,000 ft elevation gain, first mile of the trail is on annoying rock road that someone described as "chickenheads", but it is not that bad, otherwise the trails you mention are in good shape and well signed junctions)

Mount Tallac is a fantastic Day hike from Gillmore, good choice.

I would just recommend staying the second night at Gillmore, you might want to bask in the glow of the Tallac experience instead of packing up and schlepping your packs to Susie

With Kids, You might consider moving your camp on day 3 to Susie and establishing your camp there (keeping the mileage with packs down). You can setup camp and then day hike it to Heather Lake or onto Aloha.

Susie is fun to explore, there are many potential sites near the shore, some of the best sites are on a bench 70 yards down the lake's outlet creek. (there is a discernible trail alongside the outlet). Great views, no crowds, less wind
Last edited by davidsheridan on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

We are thinking about a loop out of Glen Alpine TH (Fallen Leaf Lake).

Night 1: Gilmore Lake

Day 2: Dayhike to summit of Mt. Tallac
Night 2: either stay at Gilmore, or move to Susie Lake

Day 3: hike to Lake Aloha
Night 3: camp at Aloha

Day 4: hike out to car
When?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Entering Monday 8/13, exiting Thursday 8/16; we will spend a night Sunday 8/13 at Fallen Leaf Campground.

Wondering of the schlep out from Aloha back to car will be too much for the kids!
Last edited by mangomegan on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

If you trace your route on caltopo.com , doing so in stages, you can then click on each segment and it will show you a profile of the distance and elevation, indicating the steepness, elevation gain, and elevation loss for every portion of the route. Here is an example-my map for planning loop possibilities in Desolation itself: https://caltopo.com/m/4H3S

You can take the Angora trail to return to your car. Either way from Aloha back to Glenn Alpine is a substantial hike.

Also, are you aware that there is a water taxi that will take you from the marina at the outlet of Lower Echo to an intersection with the PCT at the upper end of Upper Echo? (See map above.) There is a phone at the dock at the upper end from which you can call to have the boat come pick you up and return you to the marina. I think the cost is about $14/person now. If you could arrange transportation from the Echo store back to Glenn Alpine, I would do that.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Yes, thanks, we have taken the water taxi before (so much fun!) I don't think we will be able to arrange transportation. Maybe we need to figure out where to stay out last night--sounds like hiking out and driving 5 hours home may be too much...
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

If your kids can make the 4.5 miles from Glen Alpine to Gilmore Lake going uphill the whole way on the first day (which they should if they have hiking experience - just take it slow), they can certainly easily make it out the 6.1 miles from Lake Aloha to Glen Alpine - all downhill - on the last day.
-Phil