Ionian Basin alternate for KCHBR in mid June 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ionian Basin alternate for KCHBR in mid June 2018

Post by CAMERONM »

I would like to do some version of the KCHBR starting early June. I am comfortable with off-trail settled-snow class 3 exploration, and will have crampons and axe. The only portion that I am unsure about is the Ionian Basin. Skurka proposes an alternate route along "Upper Goddard Creek", rather than the Enchanted Gorge. I have read that Goddard has a lot of brush, but less than Enchanted, and that early season stream crossings might be too high. I attach a rough picture of this path, and a caltopo link of same. https://caltopo.com/m/9MD6.

My questions:
-Is there some variant I should consider to get to experience the Ionian Basin where I can avoid the stream crossing problem?
-Should I just wait to do the upper half of the KCHBR which includes Ionian, until July or August?
-The perimeter around Lake 10232 looks pretty steep, anyone done this? I imagine that snow might make it easier, but perhaps sliding down into a nearly frozen lake is more hazardous?
Thanks in advance for any insights!
Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 8.39.11 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Ionian Basin alternate for KCHBR in mid June 2018

Post by Jimr »

Early June? You will likely not make it across the Middle Fork King's. If you do, you will likely not make it up Goddard Creek. Heavy bushwhacking aside, getting up that canyon requires several creek crossings that will likely be swollen as well.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Re: Ionian Basin alternate for KCHBR in mid June 2018

Post by CAMERONM »

Thanks, depending on my route Middle Fork Kings might not be a problem, but I am wary of Goddard and the bushwhacking and may wait until later in the summer.

I like to append/clarify my post for advice on most memorable or iconic routes through the Ionian Basin. I am using Skurka's route as a point of departure to get to know Kings better, and have already modified some of the southern half based on what I know and am most interested in. The Ionian Basin is the very most northern portion of his route, and frankly when I read his descriptions they seem more about just getting through it than any real deep insight on the place. Yes I'll continue to search through trip reports, but if anyone can mention favorite lakes, basins, or general routes, or for that matter particularly unpleasant episodes, it will be much appreciated!