Your first backpacking trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Your first backpacking trip

Post by bobby49 »

My first backpacking trips don't really count because I was in Army training. Then overseas in the Army they were called field maneuvers. As a civilian, my first backpacking involved a long drive to Mount Elbert, Colorado. I parked at the base and went up to 12,000 feet. That was my first time at any sort of high altitude, and it kicked my butt. I topped out the next morning and returned to my car that afternoon. I had blisters the size of silver dollars on my heels. However, I was hooked.
Dmasten
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Your first backpacking trip

Post by Dmasten »

Despite all the outdoors classes, long hikes, summer camps and scouting as a child, my first backpacking trip was courtesy of Uncle Sam in basic. A 25km "march" along dirt roads to our bivouac site. First non-army backpacking trip was several years later, I just wanted to get away from people for a couple days. I lived in northeast Ohio, so I drove to the Appalachians, found a trailhead in the evening, and started hiking. It started raining and got dark. I found a rock with a fair amount of overhang that provided a dry spot. I didn't bother with a tent since the rock was providing good shelter. Unfortunately when I woke in the morning the bottom 1/4 of my sleeping bag was in a puddle. I aborted the trip, went back to the trailhead dropped off most of my gear, then went back out exploring the area for future trips.