Info Wanted - Tehipite 8/31 - 9/9

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Info Wanted - Tehipite 8/31 - 9/9

Post by Asolthane »

Hi all.

Two Level 4 backpackers one with medical training. Planning a shuttle trip starting at Copper Creek TH, going up over Granite Pass, down to Simpson Meadow, and then all the way down the valley to Yucca Point. Assuming we leave SF Thursday night and sleep at TH, we would have Fri-Sat, 9 days. If we don't leave SF till Friday morning, maybe we would stay out Sat night the 8th and come out Sun am.

I have read all the posts on Tehipite on this message board.

- Do you see any issues with this itinerary: https://caltopo.com/m/CND5
- Should we explore explore the upper reaches of the valley, either up to the Devil's Washbowl or up Goddard Creek?
- Should we take two cars, or is it reasonable to think we can hitch hike from Yucca Point back to Roads End?
- How many days of the 9 would you use to explore the high country around the Monarch Divide, and how many would you use to fish and swim in the valley? I have another itenerary for extensive off trail exploration of the N side of the Monarch Divide, and this trip was thought of as focused on fishing the valley...
- Where would you camp?
- Has anyone cut over to the Horseshoe Lakes, NE of the trail down to Simpson Meadow?
- Which are your favorite lakes around Granite Pass, for scenery, and for fishing?
- Where are the petroglyphs?
- Where would you spend a layover day?
- My friend and I both have tenkara setups, and I have a UL Spinning rig. I'll bring both. What do you recommend in terms of tackle and flies?
- Should I expect the valley floor to be warm at night, since it's such a low elevation, or should I expect it to be freezing, because of all the cold air flowing down from above?
- Gear recommendations? What would you bring/leave at home on this trip? [I have just purchased a ULA Epic backpack and these very exciting sounding shoes, the Astral TR1 Trek (amphibious trail runner style shoes with rubber that grips when wet]
- Friend and I both have TT Notch. At this time of year, would you bring the inner? Mosquitos should be gone, but there are blackflies and rattlers...
- If one of us gets bit by a snake, is it possible we walk out or should we just call a helicopter at that point (I carry a delorme)

Thank you!
Last edited by Asolthane on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Info Wanted - Tehipite 8/31 - 9/9

Post by bobby49 »

In that vicinity, I have seen a rattlesnake as high as 9050 feet.

There are standard snakebite protocols that are taught in wilderness first aid classes. In some cases, the snake strikes but does not envenomate the victim. Even if the snake envenomates the victim, it might be a tiny non-lethal amount of venom. OTOH, it might be a lethal amount. That's why the class protocol has you evaluating the bite site on the victim. Once the victim is stabilized, there may or may not be a need for immediate evacuation, so it would be a good opportunity to use the satellite communicator to get the emergency contact established. The park service can advise you from there, and they may or may not have a helicopter available.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I would wait till a very dry year to do LTV, even in a moderate snow year LTV is difficult even in Oct, if doable at all. In a dry year, late season, one can rock hop in the river channel in some places, and the water levels and currents will not be a major issue. The canyon is narrow, you will have to go into the river, water levels and currents can be a major(dangerous) issue when the river levels are high, last thing you want to do is get in partially, and then not be able to turn around or proceed down river, and poison oak is a serious issue too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

@maverick

Oh, bummer. I was basing this on the itinerary from @limpingcrab. http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... te#p113377

I thought I would be good by this date...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Oh, bummer.
Let's wait and see what kind of snow totals we end up with before you make a decision.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

ok.

I put in for a permit up Copper Creek. We could still go in and back out without going down the lower section. But would you recommend going in from the West if we aren't doing this loop?

R
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

But would you recommend going in from the West if we aren't doing this loop?
As in Rancheria>Crown>Tehipite>Simpson>Horseshoe>Glacier>Copper Creek, using two cars?

creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

Glacier Lakes are worth checking out. The uppermost one has a lovely beach. Not sure what the fishing's like, though.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The protocol for snakebite is to evacuate - don't use suction devices or cutting or any of the previous "treatments" as they can cause more damage. Concentrating the venom in the location of the bite only destroys the tissue there.

The trail through Tehipite to the top of the switchbacks has been maintained by a CC crew. The trail in the NF will be pretty bad. We're intending to get out there this year, though I am not sure when that specific trail will be worked I have a tentative plan for June.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

"Has anyone cut over to the Horseshoe Lakes, NE of the trail down to Simpson Meadow?"

Sort of. Last year we did an early season (June) hike in thru here and we dropped down from Horseshoes Lakes to Dougherty Meadow following a compass bearing. We wanted to hit the creek where it was flattest, because it was raging... Its not too bad. Trees are fairly wide apart, etc. Of course we were walking on snow.