I need some advice/sanity check on a trip im planning in Aug

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I need some advice/sanity check on a trip im planning in

Post by maverick »

Would highly recommend considering doing the 1000 Is Lake to Lake Ediza route, via the River Route instead, it has some of best scenery in the Sierra. You have Banner Peak that can be climbed via the Ritter/Banner Saddle from Catherine Lake, a class 2 route, with great scenery, if you really want a peak to climb.
1000 Is Lake, Lake Ediza, and Iceberg Lake are all Sierra classic, which will put big smiles on your friends who are into photography! :nod:
You indicated 4 for trip length, was that 4 days for the trip, or 4 nights? If 4 nights, you could use the easy Garnet Pass (class 1) to access the beautiful western end of Garnet Lake from 1000 Is Lake, and then use Whitebark Pass (class 2) to access the Nydiver Lakes area, before heading to Lake Ediza. While at Ediza, one can use the signed trail to get to Iceberg Lake for some sunrise/sunset shots.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

oldranger wrote:Need to give the flatlands at least 2 days at 8,000 feet before the trip, and you should make sure that they are in good hiking shape or are committed to getting in shape before the trip.
Yeah, I am thinking im gonna try to push everyone for two days in mammoth proper to just dink around for a bit, to get used to the altitude.
----
Everyone has a happy place.
Mine is Tulainyo Lake at Sunset.
I do hope to make it back there one day.
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

maverick wrote:Would highly recommend considering doing the 1000 Is Lake to Lake Ediza route, via the River Route instead, it has some of best scenery in the Sierra. You have Banner Peak that can be climbed via the Ritter/Banner Saddle from Catherine Lake, a class 2 route, with great scenery, if you really want a peak to climb.
1000 Is Lake, Lake Ediza, and Iceberg Lake are all Sierra classic, which will put big smiles on your friends who are into photography! :nod:
You indicated 4 for trip length, was that 4 days for the trip, or 4 nights? If 4 nights, you could use the easy Garnet Pass (class 1) to access the beautiful western end of Garnet Lake from 1000 Is Lake, and then use Whitebark Pass (class 2) to access the Nydiver Lakes area, before heading to Lake Ediza. While at Ediza, one can use the signed trail to get to Iceberg Lake for some sunrise/sunset shots.
Hi!

It would be four nights. When I was looking at the maps it seems like banner is a good idea.
Right now im lookin at you trip idea and trying to find it all on a map to see just what it would look like.

--Chris
----
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

maverick wrote:Would highly recommend considering doing the 1000 Is Lake to Lake Ediza route, via the River Route instead, it has some of best scenery in the Sierra. You have Banner Peak that can be climbed via the Ritter/Banner Saddle from Catherine Lake, a class 2 route, with great scenery, if you really want a peak to climb.
Currently what im thinking about is going to thousand island lake, then up and over to catherine lake, then up the west slope to banner peak then down the eastern slope to Edizia lake. the problem is that I have -never- been to that area so I dont know how easy it is to get up and over the saddle, I hear that to go up the lake catherine side is easy, but the other side is very sketchy if you dont have the right equipment.

Thoughts?
----
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

Okay

Completely starting from scratch I thought about this after reading some of the replies here.

I can do this route instead and it makes logistics a lot easier.

and it gives two explore days so people can pair off (buddy system) and explore the ritter lakes and the surrounding peaks around lake catherine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

Now you're cookin. Thousand Isle, Catherine, Nydiver, Ediza...all "cherries of the Sierra".
For pure funhog, photo rich, "win", the route Mav suggested is crazy good, and differs from what you mapped a little. Here's a version of what it could look like, for you to play with on the maps:

Trailhead: Agnew Meadows, River Trail

Day One, River Trail to Thousand Island Lake, northwest shore (NOT the northeast shore, known as "the village"). 7.5 miles, elevation gain 2k, will still hammer the midwesterners, so don't despair. Insane vista upon entering TI, insane sunset on Banner, insane sunrise over lake.

Day Two, Basecamped at TI, hike pass to Catherine, around and up Banner based on time and smarts (another discussion pending). This gets you well off the beaten path and maybe even summiting a rather impressive peak..., but right back to a great campsite.

Day Three, Garnet Lake, via off trail pass at southwest corner of Thousand Isle and Garnet. You roll around the end of TI counterclockwise and stroll up, over and down to the ever so rare "deep end" of epic Garnet Lake. Photo rich, indeed.

Day Four, Nydiver and Ediza, via pass at SWQ of Garnet. Scoot right along and over the next pass, which is a little more challenging, to drop down to Nydiver and/or Ediza, based on feel. Ediza is popular, and with limited legit campsites, so maybe camp Nydiver.

Day Five, Mammoth Lakes, via River Trail. Roll south from camp, past Shadow Lake and the big descent at the outfall (last day descents make you all heroes), past Olaine lake, up the one mile cruise to Agnew Meadows and your bus stop, then into town for showers before salad, pizza and beers at Giovanni's in the Minaret shopping center. Do not miss this last essential detail. =D>