Bear boxes at North Lake

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Bear boxes at North Lake

Post by Enigmagic »

the one we used in June was damaged while we were out. the recessed latch was stripped, not sure if it was vandalism or what, but we needed to use needle nose pliers to open it. just lucky to have a pair that fit in the truck.
Shiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shiker »

I was just up at North Lake, and yes, the two bear boxes at the trailhead parking (next to the pack station) are damaged. I'm not sure if the lock mechanism on the box itself is damaged or if the attached keys got damaged, but the keys do not work. I did not see any other bear boxes in this lot or at the second lot 200 meters further at the end of the road.

HOWEVER, someone left what appears to be a fireplace gas key on top of one of the bear boxes. This fits the lock mechanism and works well. However, if this key gets lost you will need your own key or a needle-nose pliers. Knowing what I do now, if I were planning on using these boxes, I'd try to bring a key (a fireplace gas key) or a pair of needle-nose pliers to keep in my car just in case.

There is a campground at the trailhead with bear boxes, but as is typical, the bear boxes are one per camp site, and you can use a bear box only if you occupy and pay for the corresponding campsite for the full time you are using the box. So for most day hikers and backpackers, these are of no practical use.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

bear boxes at north lake now?? awesome.

I have had to drive stuff to south lake while cursing and giving me a late start more times than I would like to admit.

I think i remembered about it one time.