Pioneer Basin?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Pioneer Basin?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am considering going in to Pioneer Basin in the next few days. The lower lakes are at about 10,600-10800 and south facing. Thus, I thought there might be some dry camping. I realize Mono Pass will be snow - I have done it previously with snow. The crossing of the creek from Golden Lakes may be a problem. But you could to around Golden lake from Mono Pass. I would bring crampons if needed to get over Mono Pass. The upper part of Pioneer Basin is pretty flat so likely would not need crampons, but it would be snowy and lakes likely still frozen.

Anyone have any recent information?

Plan B is the Marble Mountains. Called FS office and it is open and lots have gone in over the 4th. Drawback is mosquitoes (and longer drive).
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Pioneer Basin?

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Daisy,
My wife & I have done Mono in early season and with your experience, I doubt you'd have much trouble. And, as you inferred, it might be necessary to circle Golden Lake to avoid the creek, which I'm confident is raging, but there is a use trail alongside the creek's north side (maybe south side, too?). Also, we've descended to Golden pretty much by following the outlet from Summit Lake (duh?). But, given our recent experience that skeeters were beginning to find us at ~12,000ft up by Lamarck col last week, you may want plenty of DEET! Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

WD wrote:
Plan B is the Marble Mountains. Called FS office and it is open and lots have gone in over the 4th. Drawback is mosquitoes (and longer drive).
and possibly this too: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5304/

Stick with Pioneer Basin, creek should not be to bad, the lower lake at 10380 will be thawed out and would make for a good basecamp location.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The fire near the Marble Mountains seems to be a problem not quickly to go away. Thanks for the heads-up Mav.

I decided on Pioneer Basin. Was going to leave today, but got stung by a bee on my arm two days ago, and it is still red, swollen and itchy and hot, and getting larger every day. About a 5 inch circle now and I am taking Benydryl and using cortisone ointment. Reluctant to go out until this at least stabilizes. Hopefully, leaving Monday.

Just curious if those of you who fish would think it worth the effort to take the fishing rod? I suspect the higher lakes will be frozen.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

well, that report that Mav pointed to showed Evelyn just melting out on the North side and that lake is at 10,300. If I didn't take a rod and there was any open water, I would kick myself. I'd vote for "take it!"

I'm set to go up Rafferty mid Sept now. Can hardly wait...

Sounds like a nasty sting. Are you allergic?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

A few years ago I just saw minor numbers of small pan sized fish in the lowest lake that gets a lot of visitors including horses since it is at the end of their trail. Next two lakes had some fish but not impressive. It is the higher lakes that are more impressive with trout beyond the horse trail and like you say are more likely to be frozen. Much better trip if you wait just till late in July. I was going to do Grinnel Lake not far away mid July but throttled impatience and will wait till the end of the month. Instead of going over Mono consider just going up to Long Lake. Look at page 13 in my chronicles. Mach, Marsh, Heart, Box, have all melted out and by now Long will be. Beyond Long, cross its outlet then climb east cross country over the ridge to the no name waters on the other side. Scenic, lots of pan sized brookies in that area and rarely camped at.

David
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks for the fishing information and suggestions. Fishing is a secondary goal of this trip. I have been to the Rock Creek lakes several times the last few years, but not back to Pioneer for more than a decade. Already did it in the fall- want to see it in greener condition with more snow on the peaks. Also plan to traverse over to Hopkins drainage, which I have never seen. Another reason for Pioneer basin is that it is forecast to be windy which will mitigate the mosquitoes, if any. Also, at higher altitude, maybe fewer. Permit may also be easier to get as everyone now will want to go into Rock Creek lakes basin. As for going to the east side, I always like to drive over Tioga Pass soo after it opens because it is so amazing early season. Return via Monitor Pass and Carson Pass will give me a good look at conditions. May even consider Sonora Pass instead. Sort of a road trip as well as backpack.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Daisy,
For what it's worth, I love Pioneer& Hopkins basins and visited several times when we had a dog (and could not enter the national parks) and several times since, but the one concern is that Hopkins always seemed to be a mecca for bugs and tended to have a longer season than any of the other nearby basins. And, I tried to figure out a direct connector from Pioneer to Hopkins, but never hit on a route within my comfort zone (I am happy roping packs down 10-15 ft drops, but not more). By contrast, the ridge twixt Hopkins and Grinnell (for which I just posted a brief write-up in the off-trail section) works like a charm. If you can "pioneer" a direct route from Pioneer into Hopkins, please share! Cameron
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

For what it's worth if you do head into the Mono Creek/Pioneer Basin you should try and go over Half Moon pass direct from the pack station to Golden Lake. A friend took me over that pass years ago and it will save you so much time and mileage and energy and it is a very mild cc pass. The only problem I could think of would be the snow but based on your reports that I have read you should be fine.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The Golden Lake crest saddle route that has value for peakbaggers carrying little has been discussed before but there are few that would choose doing so with a backpack versus the trail. The top of Mono Pass is 12090 with the trailhead at 10220 with little down and up along the trail thus a uphill vertical of 1870 feet.

The parking lot by the pack station is at 9880 and the top of Golden Pass 11560 or an uphill vertical of 1680 feet, a modest 200 feet less vertical. I have never personally done that route. However it is much more tedious than than the trail, especially steep at the ridge line with any look at the topo.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.45396,-118.74149&z=15&t=T

David