Planning Piute Pass Late July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Planning Piute Pass Late July

Post by rlown »

I'd think boots and gaiters. But it's kind of your call. Trekking poles good as well. Also, per WD's comments on another thread, take extra pairs of socks to change out. Your feet will be getting wet.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matthewkphx »

rlown wrote:I'd think boots and gaiters. But it's kind of your call. Trekking poles good as well. Also, per WD's comments on another thread, take extra pairs of socks to change out. Your feet will be getting wet.
We are both very committed to trail runners and are comfortable getting wet feet with some breaks to dry things out and change socks. We are apprehensive to try out a new shoe system when we are some happy with what we wear. This might be a bad decision but we are going to go for it.

Any thoughts on Rocky gore-tex socks? I have a pair that I got for a different trip and never used. I could get boy some or maybe just a couple bread bags...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Everyone makes a choice. I chose Vasque Skywalk (Goretex) and they've held up well. I can walk through shallow streams with them (like up Piute in Sept)..

That being said, trail runners and snow seem incompatible (to me). I've watched my feet fall apart on some trips in the 80's and then be stellar later, even in boots. As they don't seem to make what I hike in anymore, This is very close to what I have hiked in for a long, long time now.

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/ ... 0000001_-1_

YMMV..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I refuse to wear boots. They'll kill me. I make exceptions rarely, snowshoeing, but in the kinds of conditions described it'll be a pair of Keen Voyageur mids, not waterproof, with neoprene socks and full length gaiters... I got kayak socks. They go on over the wool sock and keep them dry -- water won't get in the cuffs even if the water's up to my knees. I wear them on water crossings and will keep wearing them while hiking til the shoes stop oozing water. Seal Skins.

Microspikes work on shoes or mids, don't cheap out on them tho. Yaktrax are for parking lots... Crampons, on the other hand, require a boot with a stiff sole.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That being said, trail runners and snow seem incompatible (to me).
As boots are for me. If you have the right system, trail runners will work just fine. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
beamountainman
Topix Novice

Post by beamountainman »

Really appreciate this thread. I am unsure season to season if I'm staying in California, so skipping a season is not an option . I have permit for 7/22. It sounds like Piute Pass is the only area with a lot of a snow for North lake to South Lake hike? I can handle it, my wife is nervous

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

It sounds like Piute Pass is the only area with a lot of a snow for North lake to South Lake hike? I can handle it, my wife is nervous
You will encounter numerous sections with snow along that route, including possible difficult creek crossing, and mosquitoes will be ferocious. Would recommend not putting your wife into a precarious situation, by forcing her to do something she either does not or cannot do, just because your permit is set.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

This is sounding like a divorce to me.

I witnessed a domestic violence incident on the trail once -- the husband shot by me looking dapper in his new REI gear, complete with trekking poles. The wife labored up to me a few minutes later. She asked how far to <landmark> and I answered honestly. I have never heard someone shriek that way -- she chased him out of sight.

If you are thinking of just taking her without full disclosure, rethink it....

I would not assume anything about snow above 10000 feet in July. I am being told by rangers to expect ice and snow on some of my planned high passes in SEPTEMBER. I had plans to be In Evolution in July and I am rewriting them.

Look: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 34&t=15947
Last edited by AlmostThere on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

From what I'm seeing from PCT posts and flyover pics, it's solid snow from well before Muir Pass to Evolution Lake (depending on which way you are looking at it). The water crossing at Evolution, both of them actually, are very deep also... and snow isn't at peak melt either.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I would wait until September.. Go lower if you really need to go. Deep snow and raging creeks/rivers are NOT fun..