Sierra Nevada satellite...can you see

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Nevada satellite...can you see

Post by gdurkee »

The site I'm using posts an image once a day, but for other uses (fire hot spots) it's every two hours or so. One obvious problem is the resolution. Gets pretty fuzzy as you zoom in. For our purposes, it's not critical since there's so much snow -- if it's white and along the crest (in this image) it's snow (those are clouds to the west). I added the trail layers just to orient people when viewing the map. Shows where they are but, you're right of course, they're buried. Still, a few PCT hikers are getting through. I heard one had gotten to Mammoth last week. As snow bridges fail, though, I suspect that'll slow down for a couple of weeks because people won't (or shouldn't) cross streams and rivers. Evolution Creek below McClure is reportedly at chest level.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra Nevada satellite...can you see

Post by rlown »

Nice. I was able to drill into my planned destination for mid September (Evelyn Lk, Yose).. I'm assuming again that white there means all snow, which is cool. Those lakes will be frozen until at least late July.. There will be a Hanging Basket approach as well, but It melts a lot later.

Also on the site, the flicker between topo and satellite was a bit strange.