Trip Report: Royce Lakes XC Loop - Early August 2016

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report: Royce Lakes XC Loop - Early August 2016

Post by windknot »

Nice report and great photos! This is a wonderful area, especially with that wonderful post-storm lighting.
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report: Royce Lakes XC Loop - Early August 2016

Post by notis »

Maia--thanks! Yeah, I get really upset. Cutting switchbacks, leaving trash (esp. toilet paper), not burying #2 deep enough... :( On backpackinglight, a well-known user posted there about how he is purposefully vague in his trip reports. Initially it got me a little upset (my entitlement maybe?)--but the more I thought about it over the following months, the more it made sense.

Wandering Daisy--once the booties got wet, they started to chafe her paws and created raw spots (blisters?). They also dry very slowly and she can grip better without them, so we eventually decided to leave them off during scrambles. Each morning her paws were swollen, but went down after about an hour of moving. We felt awful! She was licking them over and over. We haven't been able to find booties that really work, either.

Hobbes--that was a loop that I was considering as well. Anytime you can avoid the hot slog up to that area from the Pine Creek trailhead, it's worth it :thumbsup: . I'm definitely interested in seeing your TR!

windknot and sekihiker--it's a stunning area!!