Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by Willythedog »

Hey quick question- what time does recreation.gov open up the cancelled (no show?) permits for Whitney? Midnight? Everyday there’s permits available when I look for the same day. I should check at midnight but I’m old it’s hard to stay up that late 🤣
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

In the last few days, via recreation dot gov, I secured permits for Desolation (ENF) and John Muir (INF). Given all the discussion about available permits, was surprised now prime time in early July there were so many trailheads with available spots, even some popular ones. Will make short notice walk ups less an issue. Will be near Aloha this week and Davis/Hilton next.
Recdotgov7522.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted

Post by tahoefoothills »

Are Humboldt-Toiyabe walk-up permits available online two weeks prior as they are for Inyo? Thanks!
Eman
Topix Novice

Post by Eman »

I just hike off trail. 3 trips in the last 2 months and have not applied for a permit. They cant stop me if i want to go hiking. Yes i do get a permit when it work's out for me, but if i cant secure a permit, i still go,just off
trail. Just got back from Hoover Wilderness 6 days most off trail. Did not see a Ranger at all. I follow the
rules, and get my permit as much as i can, but nothing will stop me if i want to go hiking. Yes, you can be sneaky and go in the back door if you want. Many places to do that. But this online system is not working out
for many people. We live our life from day to day. Try to adapt and follow the rules.
Eman
dwightliv
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dwightliv »

Asolthane wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:57 am Let me know if you are using the permit spreadsheet, if there is missing or incorrect info.
I visited your site to see the spreadsheet. Looks very helpful. Thanks.

While at your site, I did notice your October 30, 2019, post to Piotr S saying "Plus a Mt Whitney Zone permit". If they are coming from Sequoia, they don't enter Inyo and the zone, and shouldn't need a zone permit. Right? We expect to do the same next month and that is the explanation I got from the Wilderness office.

Dwight
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: 2023 Permit Question

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been trying to get information from SEKI with no luck.

Is there any possibility that SEKI is legally able to, or willing to redistribute permit quotas from trailheads closed due to all-summer road closures to available trailheads? Is it possible that they could/would work with Inyo NF to add some "passthrough" permits, for example, from South Lake so one could access SEKI from the east side? Or are we all just out of luck this year.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Re: 2023 Permit Question

Post by alpinemike »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:57 am I have been trying to get information from SEKI with no luck.

Is there any possibility that SEKI is legally able to, or willing to redistribute permit quotas from trailheads closed due to all-summer road closures to available trailheads? Is it possible that they could/would work with Inyo NF to add some "passthrough" permits, for example, from South Lake so one could access SEKI from the east side? Or are we all just out of luck this year.
Seeing as how I haven't seen a response to this thread and comment I'm guessing you haven't gotten one, Daisy? Makes me think that naturally we are all screwed with regards to access this year. The amount of places closed will only funnel the rest of us into the places that are open. As if the situation couldn't get better, the places that are open now have bridge issues, which will cause even more rerouting and funneling.

And admittedly given the lack of interest from most of the agencies to go back to true walk ups... I sure as hell don't think the passthrough or additional permits will be a reality. I sure wish it would be!

Not going to be the easiest year... unless all the snow and issues actually really creates a decrease in interest. Us diehards can only hope...
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

As convenient to us as it might be I don't think 'redistributing' permits makes sense. My understanding is TH quotas are individually determined with the emphasis on resource protection and sense of 'wildness'. You'd have to de-prioritize those in the service of immediate (this years) convenience. To me that's not a good trade.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A permit system based on first night only restrictions, is not totally based on resource protection. The number of backpackers wandering around along the crest of the Sierra come from both side trailheads. The permits do little to distribute the impact once past the first night, other than "number of nights" restrictions in a few areas, such as Dusy Basin. It is reasonable to think that allowing a number of added permits from trailheads that are open from those that are closed (such as Roads End) would not materially cause much more impact. I think the main reason this is not happening is that the various agencies do not work well together. I recall that providing access to the wilderness for the public is also a goal of the agencies that manage the federal land.
BandedGlossoma
Topix Novice

Sierra National Forest Wilderness Permit

Post by BandedGlossoma »

Does anyone know if the High Sierra office (Prather) will leave your permit outside to pick up after hours? They did this last year but have they changed procedures?