Tuolumne Backpackers Campground Alternative?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tuolumne Backpackers Campground Alternative?

Post by wildhiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:34 pm There probably is not cell coverage at Hetch Hetchy. Do you recall if the life-time senior pass discount can be applied whey you pay via internet?
I used the recreation.gov app on my iPhone for the first time last year to pay for camping at the White River campground in Mount Rainier National Park. I was able to apply my senior pass discount. The entire area for many miles around this campground had zero cellular service. Zip. Apparently the recreation.gov app stores up your payment info locally on your phone and then transmits that to the server when you get back into cellular reception. In my case, the charges on my credit card were dated days after my stay.

As far as I know, there has never been a senior pass discount for staying in the backpacker's campground at Tuolumne Meadows. In my experience staying multiple times in the last decade, it has always been a simple per person charge.

-Phil
rgliebe
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by rgliebe »

My favorite campground is Sawmill Campground on Saddlebag Lake Road (turn off 120 near Tioga Lake). It's never full because most people don't want to carry everything 1/4 mile from their car to the campground. Even if the Forest Service hasn't officially opened it yet, you can get water from the creek down the hill. The sites are farther apart and more spacious than at Tuolumne Meadows Backpacker's Campground, and it is quieter at night so you can get good sleep. I've never been visited by any animals there, but the bear lockers are nice to have.
hackashak
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by hackashak »

Staying down in the valley would mean alot of extra travel time to get down from the high country area and an equally long return to get back up to Tuolumne Meadows. (several hours by car or bus each way). The benefit of flying into Reno vs. Fresno for Tuolumne Meadows area hikes is avoiding that travel.

I don't know if you were renting a car or taking the bus from Reno. If in a car, you could probably get into one of the Inyo-managed campsites along Tioga Road. There are several that are right off Tioga and close to the Yosemite Tioga entrance, and the drive from the entrance to Tuolumne Meadows to start your hike isn't long. (I think it is a lot closer than White Wolf.). I saw someone else mention Hardin Flat Road and that is also quite a long way down Tioga from your trailhead (maybe a two to 2 1/2 hour drive)

Also, don't know when you plan on arriving at the park. There is always a chance that you could visit the rangers station at Tuolumne and snag a permit for one of the trailheads off Tioga Road that you could hike out to the minimum camping distance and then just return in the morning and catch the shuttle back to Tuolumne. May Lake might be a great option.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

The Backpackers Campground in the Valley is a good option. As others have mentioned, you now pay via the Recreation.gov app, so be sure to download and setup your account and payment info prior to arrival. More info here: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm

Personally, I'd rather stay closer to Tuolumne Meadows to minimize drive time in the morning. Plus, you'll be at a higher elevation overnight to better acclimate. Many Inyo National Forest campgrounds off of Hwy 120/Tioga Rd. between the Tioga Pass park entrance and Lee Vining. More info here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 486882.pdf

I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I second White Wolf. Since it's at ~8k feet, it is far better for altitude acclimation. Cell service is doubtful there, so pay beforehand.