TR: Little Lakes Valley 7/5-7/6/14

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Little Lakes Valley 7/5-7/6/14

Post by larroyo33 »

Hi Balance,

They were fine. The storm was not too bad. There was only about 5 real good cracks of thunder. I think the dogs enjoyed being in the tent during the storm because it is a tight enclosed space (probably not that much different to them from when they hide under our coffee table from the thunder) and they are close to their masters.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Little Lakes Valley 7/5-7/6/14

Post by SSSdave »

jessegooddog wrote:A group of 100? Waaay too many on that already overused trail, in my opinion.
I was unable to figure out a way to Chickenfoot off trail from Mack, as the narrow and steep willow choked steam bed forced me back to the 3rd lake. What did I miss?
There were several hundred others on that trail Saturday so I was fine with that. Easily the most hiked trail about the Eastern Sierra most weekends. The primary issue is trailhead parking. On weekends unless one arrives early in the morning say before 9am, one will likely be forced to park down the road. On my visit many cars were parked way down the road all the way to the Hilton Trailhead which is maybe a mile of extra walking.

The willow can be avoided but will instead describe an easier start. An easier start is to take the use trail on the south side of Heart Lake, cross Rock Creek at the inlet, continue a wee bit north around the lake then hike up through trees to the bench above where the Hidden Lakes be. Then head east to start going around the southeast most lake. One can simply follow the stream up to Box Lake then continue around its intricate north shore but that is tedious with ups and downs. Back on the east side of the above Hidden lake one can continue around its shore but that will end up squeezing up against a cliff and willows that though passible will only get into more willow and talus ahead. I've gone that way. Doable but tedious. Better to climb up 100 feet to the bench above and then follow that south traversing at that level through easy up and down forest. Eventually one reaches some dark gabbro talus cliffs with easy gaps of vegetation where a short drop brings one to a long level section of idealic streams and small ponds. Great place to camp where one is unlikely to see anyone all day except maybe Bob (Tom's place local) and his dog Brandon who take that route frequently. At the end of that valley one can either make the modest climb up the outlet stream to Chickenfoot or turn west and work up and over a rib to the outlet of Long Lake where the main trail be. Anyone with good crosscountry and topo skills ought to be able to do this fascinating and interesting route. At worst one will end up backtracking a bit here and there moving through the puzzling sections.