Grouse, surprise!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Grouse, surprise!

Post by JM21760 »

I cannot recall if I already brought this up. Has anyone had the %$@*# scared out of them by a Grouse? They just sit there, invisible, until you're right on top of them. Then, they BLAST into the air, leaving you with a pounding heart, dinner plate eyeballs, and possibly a need for an underware change. My last experience was at the Monarch/Crystal Lakes junction in Mineral King. I imagine I created a low pressure system by just trying to catch my breath. :eek:
The first time a Grouse got me was on the Big Wood River in Idaho. I was walking through a forest, Spanish Moss laden trees, at sundown. Creepy to begin with for a 12 year old. :paranoid: A grouse launched out from underfoot, and I was left screaming and running wild. I fell in the river on a dead run.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

:lol: Numerous times. I've jumped on a couple of occasions. I think the first time this happened to me was near Sugarloaf valley several years ago (kind of funny, been hiking in the Sierra since I could walk but never had this happen to me until about 4 years ago).
gdurkee
Founding Member

Grouse

Post by gdurkee »

You'd think after the zillionth time I wouldn't jump ten feet into the air, but they get me every time... .

Even had a female keep coming at me last year. I looked around for chicks and there were two extremely tiny ones almost under my feet. The most perfect blending in I've ever seen.

g.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Re: Grouse

Post by Snow Nymph »

gdurkee wrote:You'd think after the zillionth time I wouldn't jump ten feet into the air, but they get me every time... .

g.
:nod:

My grouse and chicks pic: http://community.webshots.com/photo/805 ... 5557BeDbUt
There were 7 chicks hiding under.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

On a trip in the Marbles, on the third day out, Pooch and I were scouting out a campsite, when Pooch, partially trained in SAR, stopped. Now he never had been worked as a hunting dog, so I had to go back the short distance to where he was and see what was up. I had almost reached him when with a whir of wings a grouse or something took off from this bush by the trail. I said good dog, come. I said come. As I turned back another bird took off. I never questioned him any more after that. Yes, I've been spooked a few times by them birds taking off underfoot it seems too.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I been spooked by those little rascals too (hiking out at night). I was going t post a pic of one but first I looked at Snow Nymphs photo. My paltry snapshot doesn't compare - Snow Nymphs looks suitable for framing (never seen a little one before, that's cute).
PhilB
Topix Acquainted

Post by PhilB »

A few years back I met an aggresive grouse somewhere near Piute Creek. It had been far enough off the trail that I would never have seen it until it decided it wanted me to hurry on past. Didn't see any chicks but I guess there must have been some nearby because I hadn't done anything to upset it apart from walking past on the trail.

I see a lot of them on the moorland near home when out on my bike but they are a much more stupid variety. If they are on or near the trail as you approach they don't walk or fly away but usually try to outrun the bike along the trail then fly off just before getting caught. I think they try the same game with cars but with less success!
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

On a backpack trip into the Golden Trout Wilderness as a kid I remember hearing that call they make in the spring. I had no idea what it was. My 9 year old imagination went wild assuming it had to be Bigfoot. :lol:
Ratboy
Topix Regular

Post by Ratboy »

Can't recall being scared but I did see this sign in a pub in England posted on a low door entry....

"DUCK, OR GROUSE"

Those wiley Brits...
Dave - Getting it done, one day at at time.
http://www.dnkrhodes.com