Wanda or Sapphire Lake - One Night Sidetrip Options

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hackashak
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Wanda or Sapphire Lake - One Night Sidetrip Options

Post by hackashak »

Hi All,
Frequent lurker here. Thanks for all the valuable information you have provided me over the last few years.

I am level 3 experienced and will do a solo trip in mid-July 2024. Based on the solo nature of the trip I would prefer to limit my exposure to Class 2 terrain or short easier 3. I'm coming from flat land, and I am going to spend a couple of days trail running near Bishop before I start, which always seems to work for me (not acclimatization but just gets me ready for the pain).

My plan is to start at North Lake, going over Lamarck Col to Darwin Bench (Day 1) and then on to Evolution Basin. Then, following JMT until I exit Dusy/Bishop Pass to South Lake.

While this is a short trip for me, I've allowed a day for a side trip and I've read some suggestions that McGee Lakes or Davis Lake might make for an interesting side trip. There is also a lake 11434 at 37° 8.6000' N, 118° 40.7178' W to the east of Sapphire Lake inlet.

My interest isn't in fishing, but just in getting off trail to somewhere scenic to spend the afternoon and night and then drop back down to JMT and be on my way.

So a couple of questions:
1) Does anyone have any experience with the unnamed Lake, especially in comparison to McGee or Davis?
2) Been researching my topo maps and can't really work out any real straightforward approaches to McGee or Davis. I feel like I have decent off trail route finding experience. Not expecting anyone to provide me a GPX file (but not turning it down either), but just looking for your input as to a) how easy it is to find a way, b) the recommended passes and c) the general area that I should start looking for ingress to the pass from the JMT.
3) And finally if I am totally blowing it and missing out on some other awesome side trip please feel free to recommend.

Thanks
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Re: Wanda or Sapphire Lake - One Night Sidetrip Options

Post by Bishop_Bob »

If you're talking about the lake the ESE of Sapphire, I came through that area a couple of years ago and thought it was so lovely that I would like to go back to explore. It reminded me of Darwin Bench in the sense that it was a nice flattish region with nooks and crannies along the side.
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted

Post by FrankPS »

Going up to visit Darwin Canyon and Lakes is pretty nice. There is a use trail that breaks off the JMT just north of Evolution Lake. That would be a nice day hike from Sapphire or Evolution Lake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If coming from Lemark Col, you will automatically be going through Darwin Canyon. I think the lakes recommended in a previous post are the ones on the way to Alpine Col (north). These lakes are nice for photography because they face south and get all-day lighting. I am not sure going all the way up to Alpine Col is scenically worth the effort.

I have camped across the outlet at Sapphire Lake and next day climbed Mt. Fisk via the little lakes east of Sapphire. The upper cirque is very nice. The south ridge of Mt. Fisk is fun class3 huge rock blocks- but stay on the ridge. Lake 11398 is the lake in the center of this cirque. I have also been to the cirque north (Lake 11594) which is not as scenic. I suppose you could do both.

Nearer to the end of your trip, you could leave the trail at the first lake you hit in Dusy Basin and instead follow the string of lakes to the south and from the northernmost one, go off-trail to Bishop Pass. And coming out to South Lake the route past Chocolate Lakes is very scenic and only takes about an hour extra.

Another rigorous all-day hike from Dusy Basin is over Knapsack Pass or Thunderbolt Pass to Barrett Lakes. The north side of Thunderbolt Pass can have some difficult snow early season.

I do not think Davis Lake is worth all the difficult talus hopping unless you fish. McGee Lakes are nice but a bit of hiking before you get to where you have views of the surrounding peaks.

It depends on where you camp and if you want to spend a full day on a side trip or just hop up to a few scenic sides on your way.
papercup
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by papercup »

Getting to Davis Lake is fairly straightforward. Just head over the low point on the ridge west of Wanda Lake, drop down the other side, and follow the terrain down to the lake. As Daisy suggests, it's a bit of a rocky slog, but the navigation is straightforward. The east side is rockier and sloggier than the west. It's a pretty area in an austere way. This probably wouldn't be my first choice for a side trip in the region (unless I was looking to go up Mount Goddard via Starr's Route), but I certainly wouldn't turn down the chance to go here again. A few pictures:

Looking out over the Davis Lake region from somewhere on the Goddard Divide

Same region viewed from ground level.

View of the eastern (more annoying) side of the ridge separating Wanda Lake from the Davis Lake region (red tent for scale).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

For an overnight side trip, I feel McGee Lakes is better than Davis Lake. I have stopped at McGee Lakes, coming up from Evolution Valley, camping between the upper two lakes. Then it was easy day-hiking to many other lakes; lots to explore and see. Same for Darwin Bench- large area with many beautiful lakes, with flowers and meadows too.
1143_LMcGee_camp.jpg
1206-07_small.jpg
1329_Camp_small.jpg
1389.jpg

Dusy Basin and Barrett Lakes are easily visited from South Lake so perhaps spending an extra day at a more remote location would be preferred on this particular N Lake to S Lake trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hackashak
Topix Newbie

Post by hackashak »

Thanks for the great replies and pics. Unfortunately, I live in Texas and only get one chance a year to soak up the Sierras. Your comments have confirmed some of my thoughts, but given me some good new info.

Since I am hiking over Lamarck Col, I plan on getting to Darwin Bench in time for some afternoon exploration. If I don't feel I see enough, I will probably explore a bit after breaking camp on Day Two.

It looks easy enough to get up to lakes East of Sapphire and I may just go up to explore. If I love it I will setup camp and if not, my day 2 is pretty short so I should have time to go over to McGee.

And depending on how well I am moving on my last overnight, I will probably roam off Bishop Pass trail to stay at a more remote lake. But I've got to catch a ride at South Lake mid-afternoon, so I would prefer to keep it with 7-8 miles of the South Lake trailhead so I can have a leisurely last day instead of a speed hike. If you have any great recommendations along this trail (I have to admit I haven't researched options too well for this day yet).
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I've been thru the basin east of Sapphire a couple times (coming and going over Wallace/Haeckel cols) and find a place along the creek at ~11515' an especially scenic campspot. If memory serves there's an area of boulder field at the western end of the 11400' plateau that isn't encouraging but go a bit higher.
If you're short on time climbing Spencer is quick and easy and it has a tremendous view of Darwin. If you've more time the Huxley-Warlow traverse is stimulating/challenging. Climbing Warlow from Wanda is very easy/enjoyable too.
I also recommend McGee over Davis lakes - more varied scenery. Both are simple xcountry from the JMT.
maxr22
Topix Acquainted

Post by maxr22 »

I can answer Q2 for Davis lake in a bit more detail. Getting to the top of the ridge from Wanda to Davis is smooth sailing. Once you are at the saddle point at the top of the ridge, head around 200 feet north where you will find 2 grassy ramps that will take you down into Davis basin. If you were to continue descending from the saddle point you will be in some awkward sized talus. If you do decide Davis is where you want to go, I liked camping at 37.12977, -118.71813 with some wind protection.

Additionally if you were thinking about timing, I think you could easily make it from Darwin bench to the lake at 11434 in one day with time to spare.

Haven't been to McGee Lakes but based on pictures it does look more interesting than Davis.
tnewton
Topix Novice

Post by tnewton »

McGee Lakes are fairly easily accessed by going up over the saddle just west of sapphire lake. It's steep but straightforward. McGee lakes are pretty and have lots of potential camping sites.
tnewton