June 7 to 10, backpacking near Lone Pine possible?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hiac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

June 7 to 10, backpacking near Lone Pine possible?

Post by hiac »

I have done 4-day backpacking around Glen Pass in July many years ago. This year I plan to fly to Vegas around June 7 to 10 (flexible to change 1 or 2 days). Any trail I should consider around that area? I will try my luck in walkin permit.
if difficult to get permit, I am ok to sleep in car, and do day hike, as long as snow is not an issue.

Thank you!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: June 7 to 10, backpacking near Lone Pine possible?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are no longer actual walk-in permits. You need to do it via Reserve.gov. You may need to do this 2-3 days head of the trip. Call Inyo Forest and ask exactly when is the latest you can get an internet walk-in permit. If you are driving from Vegas, you will have little time for backpacking.

Why Lone Pine? Would a trip out of Bishop be OK? An overnight trip staying east of Bishop Pass would be do-able for your time-frame. Or Sabrina Lake to Sabrina Basin. If the road is open an overnight to Cottonwood Lakes may work. Overnight to Third Lake may work.

If day-hiking, the BLM campground at Tuttle Creek usually has non-reservable sites at a reasonable price. Inyo Forest campgrounds can be booked up. But there are may campgrounds up South Lake Road, some with some sites that do not require a reservation. It is best to avoid weekends both for campground and backpacks. Monday is a good day to try to get a backpack permit.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:27 pm There are no longer actual walk-in permits. You need to do it via Reserve.gov.
I think Daisy meant "www.recreation.gov" for the wilderness permits.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

And let's hope we get some warm weather! This last storm dropped more than two feet of snow in Tahoe, and added a nice frosting to the snowpack.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

balzaccom wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:36 am And let's hope we get some warm weather! This last storm dropped more than two feet of snow in Tahoe, and added a nice frosting to the snowpack.
Yea, late spring snows area significant factor in lingering summer snow pack, regardless of the amount of snow dropped during the normal snow season.

As for the OP's inquiry, hop on the Recretion.gov site and snoop around, there are venues that have no quota on permits issued, such as Kennedy Meadows.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Early June this year on southern sunny exposures to 10000 and northern exposures to 9000. That means almost all southeastern Sierra alpine lakes will have snow, maybe open water. Your Copernicus browser task in late May. Good option from Vegas if Horseshoe Meadows Road up to Cottonwood Lakes isn't open would be the White Mountains Bristlecone Pine Forest.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.3807 ... structures

Though a longer road trip, the paved road to the Schulman Grove would be an easy drive in any rental vehicle. From LV, north on Nevada 95, West on Nevada 266 continuing as California 168 west, then north on White Mountain Road. Just be well provisioned for remote car camping, especially food and water.

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_ ... 17-13.html

So in the morning with sun rays westward, tremendous views across to the then still quite snowy Sierra Nevada with plenty green sagebrush lower flanks. And from the visitor center miles of trails about its fantastic forest.

Next day or two could loop back further down to US395 at Big Pine, resupply. Then could continue south along the range doing whatever. At Lone Pine could resupply better then even disperse camp within the Alabama Hills, and day trip up to Whitney Portal.

John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I've got a permit to go into the South Fork Lakes area on June 10 (Monday). You can camp up at Horseshoe Meadows, or down in the Alabama Hills.

John