TR: Roaring River

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Optimus-00
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Roaring River

Post by Optimus-00 »

As tempting as a cross-country route up/down Roaring River between 180 at 5,000' and the ranger station at 7,400' would be... I think I would stick with the trail from Rowell/Sunset, which is easy walking. I've done that stretch in well under a day several times.
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FrankPS »

JosiahSpurr wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 12:41 pm I am searching for a way to visit Cloud Canyon and Deadman Canyon compressed into a two-day weekend.

Not practical/doable in two days. Look at the map, figure out the mileage and elevation gain, and plan a more reasonable trip.

I am doing a trip this year starting at Rowell Meadows, going up Deadman Canyon, cross country over Coppermine Pass, then down Cloud Canyon. I think the crux will be the cross-country day over Coppermine Pass. Snow will the the main issue. Going in late August, so maybe the snow will be minimal. Don't want to haul crampons, ax, pickets, etc. And I have seven nights planned! (with a layover day at Colby Lake) Likely we will only spend six nights on the trail, but we're not trying to do it as fast as possible.

Although this thread seven years old, the OP still has questions as recently as last year.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

I searched for Sunset Meadows & appears that it's along forest route 13S14. Thanks from OP. I left a government job and joined the gig economy, therefore I can go whenever I want for as long as I want.

My second trip in the area was a better approach. I started closer to Roaring River Falls up a long, gradual rock slope that was very scenic. Off to the left, there was a majestic view down into the very deep R.R. gorge. The view seemed to be straight down. Then I entered the same basin in TR #1 after crossing the remains of Sentinel Ridge. It left a deep impression in my mind, due in part to the sense that "nobody ever comes here." After Hwy. 180 opens, I might try the other (East) side of R.R. because the countours seem straighter.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

This is awesome, I love that you're hiking cross country up out of Kings Canyon. Like you said, "nobody ever comes here." I'd love to see any pictures you share of the unique views from your routes!