2024 HST Meetup

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2024 HST Meetup

Post by Love the Sierra »

Dave_Ayers wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:30 am Maverick, in your original post your wrote: "... 7/26 (Fri) is our full day ...". I,e., group socializing the eve of 7/26. Is that still the plan?

Your 4/11 post seems to indicate earlier. If it's earlier, I'll need to modify my permit.
Yes, I am also a bit confused. If the 25th is the arrival date, wouldn’t that be the “social” evening and hiking together or fishing or whatever activity, on the 26th? Just do not want to miss it as Daisy had pointed out.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

The Meetup “party” will be on the afternoon of the 26th (Fri), which will allow people arriving the 26th, to still spend time meeting fellow members during the afternoon and not worry that everyone has already left.

For those who are arriving prior to the 26th, can socialize, fish, climb, or scout out locations for those golden hour locations :unibrow: with fellow members.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I will no longer be able to attend, as Friday is too late for me. I got my permit based on attending the 24th at the latest and another permitted trip starting the 27th.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

That’s a shame, Daisy. I was looking forward to meeting you.
I always wait until right before the trip and still, even after Covid, manage to get a walk in permit. Literally every solitary time I have gotten a permit way in advance of a trip, I was, in the end, unable to do the trip either because of weather, family or work. When I know I am going and nothing will stop me, I have always gotten my walk in, even last year going into Piute Pass in August!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, this is disappointing to read, Daisy.

For those who have never visited this beautiful basin, here is an excellent video of one of the east-side entrances and west-side exit to the JMT out of the Vee Lake area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8exEZpUxx58
This is incredibly informative for those approaching from the west in locating the use trail and the chute leading up to Vee Lake. (Vee Lake to Hilgard Branch section at 1:17:20)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I was squeezed between other commitments so getting a new first come permit would not solve the problem. I still plan on being in Bear Basin the 23 or 24th. I just have to be out the 26th. Maybe I will bump into some HST members on my way in or out.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Grampy kindly wrote:
Never been there. I looked around and found this:
viewtopic.php?t=21605 … perhaps useful, although describing road conditions from 2021.
FWIW, I am planning (hopefully with another HST member) to head via Italy & Dancing Bear passes; starting (per current plan) on the 22nd. Looking forward to meeting you all there.
Thanks Grampy, that was very helpful, and answered all of our questions. Hope to meet you there, or on the trail, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.