Truckee / Donner / Tahoe area looking for info

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Ayo
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Truckee / Donner / Tahoe area looking for info

Post by Ayo »

Good morning,

Looking to start some higher altitude hiking and wanted to try some trails in the Tahoe area. Was specifically looking at the Frog Lake area and surrounding trails.

What type of footwear do I need this time of year? Snowshoes? Hiking boots with microspikes? Mountaineering boots with crampons?

Just planning on doing a few day hikes to try out the thinner air. Any recomendations?

TIA
Tom Perkins
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Truckee / Donner / Tahoe area looking for info

Post by Tom Perkins »

It is getting warm, and slushy by mid day. We went on the rim trail, from Kingsbury North trailhead the other day, and by noon it was getting slippery. If you get an early start, snowshoes will be fantastic, and boots with spikes will probably work. There will be patches of dirt or mud to make your way through, especially on South facing slopes. You probably won’t need mountaineering gear unless you are climbing or crossing steep slopes, and I would bring an ice axe and know how to use it for that.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Truckee / Donner / Tahoe area looking for info

Post by c9h13no3 »

Ayo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:27 am Good morning,

Looking to start some higher altitude hiking and wanted to try some trails in the Tahoe area. Was specifically looking at the Frog Lake area and surrounding trails.

What type of footwear do I need this time of year? Snowshoes? Hiking boots with microspikes? Mountaineering boots with crampons?

Just planning on doing a few day hikes to try out the thinner air. Any recomendations?

TIA
Donner Summit is one of the snowiest places in California. Expect continuous snow coverage. Don't forget to buy your SNO-Park permit if you park there. And don't fall off a cornice and die like this dude did a while back at Frog Lake.

For similar views, without the slednecks, I'd hike out towards the Peter Grubb hut instead.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.