Lyell Fork to Valley - where to camp in between?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lyell Fork to Valley - where to camp in between?

Post by Midnight Sun »

Whoa, looks like I am not getting notified about replies to my thread. Thanks all for your input. Awesome guidance! The descent down the drainage posted by WanderingDaisy looks epic.

Harlen - is this the general area you were at for those photos?

Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted

Post by Midnight Sun »

Just read your TR. Amazing. What a trip!
maxr22
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by maxr22 »

This spot could be in play. It’s close-ish to the valley. Passed by it on the way out from a trip. Might be a bit too far off your itinerary though. It has a cool view of moraine dome and bunnell point. Sadly I do not have pictures.

37.74919, -119.45232
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Midnight Sun, you wrote:
Harlen - is this the general area you were at for those photos?
Nope. I was on the other side, northwest of Foerster Peak. I had crossed Blue Lake Pass, and was on the ridge that runs from Foerster over to what is called Peak 11,210T on the HST Resources map.

I recall thinking that the best place to descend from that ridge to the Lyell Fork was right below that peak, due east of it. I was further up that ridge for the photos. Good Luck, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Here is a map of a pass I used to go from Blue Lakes to the Upper Lyell Fork. I am pretty sure it was the more western flagged pass. I dropped down to the flat area from the lake west of Blue Lake pass - I suppose you could also stay higher. The topography is not very distinct on the south side and hard to tell exactly where you are. Going lower was easier navigation for me. If you have a GPS staying higher and going down the ridge may be easier.

The north side of the pass itself was very steep- pretty much a scary slot gully for the first 200 feet gradually getting easier downward. Then you walk on timbered ledges towards the lakes in the Lyell Fork. I am not sure my line on the map is 100% correct. The ledges themselves are pretty obvious- just stay on what works. I did not think it was an easy route, but then I have no other routes off that ridge to compare it with. I regret that I was too stressed to take a photo of the steep part of the pass. I am not sure it is a pass I would recommend, but it worked.

I recall that once on the timbered ledges I ran into tons of bear poo. Yes, Harlen, every path I seem to take is full of bears. I am a bear magnet.

00_BlueLtoLyell Fork.JPG
118_1818.jpg
This is a photo looking back at the ridge from the first lake. It shows more talus to descend to get to the timbered ridges- it must have been fairly easy because I do not recall any difficulties, once down the steep slot, which does not show up on this photo. I took the photo at 10:45AM and probably left Blue Lake about 9AM.

Here is what I wrote in my trip report.
"When I reached the edge, the north side looked impossible. Well, I would give it a try. The upper part was loose, seep and scary but once down about 200 feet I could drop from one bench to another, ending up on a broad vegetated bench loaded with signs of bears. I easily traversed east to Lake 10217 making lots of noise to warn bears, arriving at 1PM. I may have been the first person down that obscure class2 pass. With its very tricky route finding I can hardly recommend it as a good route. At least I was now in the Lyell Fork."

Here is a link to the full trip report.

viewtopic.php?p=171382&hilit=2006#p171382
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Midnight Sun,
WD wrote:
Here is a map of a pass I used to go from Blue Lakes to the Upper Lyell Fork. I am pretty sure it was the more western flagged pass. I dropped down to the flat area from the lake west of Blue Lake pass
I reckon that is it exactly- the western route. Have fun. I wish I was there right now!

She also wrote:
I recall that once on the timbered ledges I ran into tons of bear poo. Yes, Harlen, every path I seem to take is full of bears. I am a bear magnet.
What's your secret Daisy, do you rub honey into your hair? I'd do it too if I had any hair left.

p.s. That is a great report you linked, but it is not the one from the Lyell Fork of the Merced area.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

IMG_7474.jpeg
i went where your circle is found it to be not too bad had harder time getting to blue lakes from above, going up would be easier
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Hey Midnight,

Nice route. Looks challenging. Here is a spot I've been to on several trips. Once in the 90's, another on a trans-sierra ski tour, and the third time was just a couple of years ago.

37.70365, -119.28895. Lake under Ansel Adams

D3_camp_tents.JPG.jpeg
Lake AA-1.jpg
Enjoy your trip.