Early summer snowpack

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
atodor
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Early summer snowpack

Post by atodor »

I am planning a trip around July 4-6 and I am wondering how much snow will be left on my routes, given the current state of the snowpack, seemingly above average. I would like to include the Twenty Lakes Basin; Thousand Island & Ediza lake; Minaret, Iceberg & Cecile; Hungry Packer, Moonlight & Midnight Lake, Brainard & Finger.
Specifically I am concerned, besides the ability to reach the destinations, whether the lakes will be melted, so that I can get the best views. I find that the lakes covered in ice and snow take a lot away from the scenery.
Opinions from people familiar with the area greatly appreciated.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Early summer snowpack

Post by paul »

Looking at the most recent survey numbers from locations that are closest to your intended area, I see all of them at or just below the historical average. Based on that, I would expect some snow on the higher parts of your route, and some of the higher and smaller lakes may still have ice. But temperatures and precititation between now and then can make quite a difference. A warm May and June wth some rain up high speeds up the melt, while a cool May and June with some late snow will slow it down. There is one more manual survey for most locations, at the beginning of May ; and the sensors can be read until the snow is gone, so keep an eye out and you will have a clearer picture as you get closer to your dates. And pack a headnet - that should be prime skeeter season!
atodor
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by atodor »

Thank you, Paul. I am traveling from East Coast, so I need to make my bookings soon.
How hard would it be to cross the pass between Iceberg and Minaret, with and without snow??
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Crossing snow can be tricky. The steepness of that slope makes it extra tricky. The slope faces north, so a lot depends on what the sun has been doing.

If you are on the snow slope very early in the morning, there may be a frozen crust surface. In that case, microspikes would be necessary. If you are on it in the afternoon, then the snow may be like soft ice cream, and you would be plunge stepping the whole way.

For the last time that I was there, both up and down were like soft ice cream. It was a bit of a struggle, but I made it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

How hard would it be to cross the pass between Iceberg and Minaret, with and without snow??
Know your limits, weigh the risks and consequences, and turn back whenever you're ready to do something outside your comfort zone.
Accidents have happened on this route: viewtopic.php?p=149401&hilit=minaret#p149401
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This year so far, the snowpack is almost identical to 2010. Here is a photo looking towards the Banner Peak from Lost Lakes (Rush Creek) on June 27, about a week earlier than your planned trip. Snow on the route above Iceberg Lake may not be the only snow problem you will have. In early August the same year (2010), I did Roper's High Route and had to sit at Iceberg Lake until 10AM before the sun hit the snow to soften it. I did not have micro-spikes or ice axe, just trekking poles. Luckily, another group came down and I simply used their steps. It was mixed hard snow and dirt. I would not have wanted to be on it if it were entirely snow. Be sure you are on the snow sections alone- if another group is coming the other direction, wait at a safe place until they pass.

5055-56_south part profile.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Just my opinion, but the first week of July seems early to me for what you are planning, unless you are very competent on snow, good at river crossings, and can navigate well. The snowpack is above average, not as high as last year, but if even it was a drier year, the first week of July can still seem early. Mammoth gets a lot more snow than many other areas in the Sierra. Just my opinion. Personally, I would wait at least a few weeks if I had to lock it down with a reservation. If you can watch it every day, every week, and get a good sense that the snow is melting faster due to hot weather, or tropical rain storms, then it would make more sense. But I tend to plan on the conservative side. best wishes.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

What's it like up there now?
The Yosemite snow rangers have posted another report from Tuolumne Meadows. Snow conditions continue to evolve, and another storm this weekend could have an impact, but there is no question that spring is coming:

https://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/update-f ... 0-2024.htm

The snow level at the top of Snow Creek above Yosemite Valley is now at 7,000 feet.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963