First job as a youth backpacking leader! Any tips?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: First job as a youth backpacking leader! Any tips?

Post by balzaccom »

Flamingo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:01 pm
4. Leader in the Back: I agree with balzaccom that putting the "slowest in front" isn't necessarily a good idea. But I will suggest that you always put an adult leader in the VERY BACK. Walking at the back of group can feel lonely, especially if you're the slowest hiker and struggling. If an adult leader is in the very back, then you prevent anyone from feeling like. . . they're being left behind.
This is eactly what I meant when I said one of the group leaders (adults) should walk sweep---dead last, and sweeping up anyone who falls behind.

And BTW--I love the Rose and Thorn idea. I've used parts of that often, but never had the whole concept!
Last edited by balzaccom on Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Wow, I was sucking up the moxie it takes to address this post, but gratified to see the very HST member I hope would reply, have already done so. They have done heavy lifting, so I will mostly fill in the detail of some of the items covered, and clarify any points that may leave room for interpretation.

Preparation
  • Check out how the organizations' program is set up. The more resources they provide, the less challenging it will be to ease into your responsibilities. Packing lists for each individual as well as community outfitting are necessary. Likewise these media should inform you what kind of expectations the clients will have of the program, as well as the expectations the organization will place on your performance as their employee.
  • I found hiking with youth went smother for everyone if the adults took on the task of carrying most of the heavy community gear. Light, bulky items like paper towels wipes and TP, however, may be shouldered by the youths. The adult leaders should anticipate carrying significantly more weight and bulk than they normally pack. Therefore better shape you are in, the more likely you will succeed at being an effective, upbeat and receptive leader.
  • Gather all of the information you can about any hike considered. This includes weather, trail conditions, bug issues, stream crossings, elevation gains/losses, and the destiny's ability to accommodate the size of the group you will be leading.
  • You'll want to contact the families before they show up for the event. This will somewhat ease the concerns parents may have, as well as provide a preliminary insight regarding each individual. This also provides the opportunity to review packing lists and other in-town preparation issues. This includes assuring fresh batteries are loaded in personal lighting devices, apparel and sleeping bags are duty rated for the weather conditions. Gather any significant information, regarding your charges, and carry it with you on the hike, such as food allergies and dietary preferences/restrictions, medical issues and prescriptions. The hiker may be packing their own meds, but you need to assure they are complying with a dosage schedule. You should also use this conversation to determine the experience and fitness level of each individual.
Provisioning
  • The program may have a set list of meals to select from, but often this is not the case.
  • Try to keep to tried and true items, based on your experience.
  • Most youth have yet to develop gourmet criteria for food, so the emphasis should be on ease of preparation. That said this is one aspect where you can gain their respect by suggesting alternative ways to fix a meal, for example: one can make and eat scrambled eggs directly a boil bag, but eggs always taste better if they are finished in a fry pan with some butter and perhaps enhanced with some cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, etc. But it doesn't even need be that elaborate; supplementing basic oatmeal or pancakes with additional dried berries and other fruits goes a long way, simply by rehydrating dried fruits (and onions, etc) overnight.
At the trailhead or (night before)
  • Confirm everyone is adequately outfitted, and conforming to the gear list.
  • Confirm that everyone's packs are properly adjusted. Even experienced hikers often are not aware of how to adjust a pack to one's person, or arrange gear in a pack.
  • Communicate the importance of how a pack is properly loaded, so the weighty items are placed where they facilitate balance and weight distribution, as well as placing items one anticipates needing on trail where they are accessible with minimal hassle. On this point: one of the quickest ways for a party member to earn the ire of the entire group is to be the person everyone has to wait for, because they are disorganized.
  • Require everyone read and understand the regulations that accompany the trail permit.
  • Break out the maps, and review the game plan. Everyone waits at trial junctions and stream crossing for the back of the group, before proceeding further on.
Navigation
  • Make sure everyone has a hardcopy of the map, and that everyone is using exactly the same version of the map! Believe it or not the details of USGS maps vary among the editions; likewise for third party map products. A notorious example are the maps covering the Cottonwood Lakes basin, above Lone Pine. The trails have significantly changed over the decades; in fact the number sequence identifying each un-named lake is inconsistent among the various map products available, including the USGS maps.
  • Make sure the both the trailhead and destination are clearly marked up on all maps.
  • If anyone is bringing a tech navigation device, confirm they are able to relate the information displayed by the device to the map. In fact this should be a group activity, that covers map and compass, tech devices and how to sinc up a paper map with GPS devices. Explain the three different coordinate notations in use - DDD:MM:SS (degrees, minutes, seconds), DDD:MM.mmm (degrees, minutes and decimal minutes) and DD.dddd (degrees and decimal degrees), as well as declination, triangulation, map symbols, etc. You can reinforce these lessons with impromptu contests at a stop, where individuals or teams attempt to locate their position on a map. As proficiency improves, attempt the challenge in less obvious locations, away from obvious waypoints like trail junctions. lakes or stream crossings.
Camp cooking/KP
  • Some will consider this a chore; others a challenge. I suggest the youth arrange themselves into teams. This allows for a variety of meals to be simultaneously prepared, as well as acknowledges most BC meals are packaged to feed 1, 2, 4, and sometimes more individuals. Food should be distributed among each cook team.
  • The final step of clean up should include dipping all personal dining items and cook wares in boiling water. This task is most efficiently carried out using as a group activity. The equipment for this task is noted in the community gear section (below).
Personal and water hygiene
  • Contrary to popular belief this is almost all stomach disorders result from food handlers exercising poor personal hygiene practices. Compel food handlers to exercise proper hand washing prior to performing any cooking activities.
  • Latrine stations should include a bottle of disinfecting liquid, in addition to the items others have already suggested.
    Inform young women/parents thereof who are going on these trip to bring products that address menstruation events. Some women at this age don't always have a set cycle; be prepared!
  • I recommend you use one of the two-step chemical solutions to treat potable water. I do not know of any youth that prefers pumping water through a filter over other camping activity. You can purchase such water treatment products in bulk form at a boater/marine supply retailer, or online.

Venue selection
  • Most kids this age don't need to long hikes - nor are particularly interested in such effort - to have fun and experience that sense of being "out there". Limiting a hike to less that four miles will free up time for them to do what they really want to do, be it fishing, bagging a nearby peak, scampering around the rocks or just hanging out at camp and killing time.
  • Try to pick a destiny that includes a nearby lake and stream.
  • If the hike passes points of interest, consider boning up on these features and sharing the trivia when you encounter these features. This can extend to informing them why a particular peak was given its name.
Community gear
  • The youth should carry:
    • their food
    • cook team stoves, fuel and cook wares
    • tents
    • lightweight group items (e.g. paper products and trash bags).
  • Otherwise the adults should shoulder:
    • a large dining fly/tarp (in case of rain)
    • a large stock pot used to heat large volumes of water for the group.
    • a cook stove capable of boiling a large pot of water
    • a couple opf mesh bags used to dip cook wares in boiling water after cleaning.
    • extra AA & AAA batteries, just in case,
    • hand sanitation solution for the group,
    • DET
    • first aid kit
    • a couple of space blankets
    • gorilla tape or other means to fix punctured sleeping pads.
    • I am sure additional items will come to mind...
Other group/breakout activities
  • Teach how to fish.
  • Bring a book about the area flora and fauna, and how to identify these things.
  • Alternative ways to start a fire.
  • How to select a good tent site.
  • Discuss leave no trace ethics.
I am sure there is more, but my brain is tired for now!

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Ed Said: "I recommend you use one of the two-step chemical solutions to treat potable water. I do not know of any youth that prefers pumping water through a filter over other camping activity. You can purchase such water treatment products in bulk form at a boater/marine supply retailer, or online."

I would suggest one of the gravity filter systems. You set it up, hang it on a tree, and take turns monitoring it. These work really well, and avoid the issue of taste with the chemical solutions. I've used then in groups up to a dozen adults without any issues.
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Great guidance here. Expanding on a few...

Keeping pack weight to ~25% of body weight - have an "essentials" gear list, and when a pack is too heavy let the kids choose the "optional" items they'll leave behind. Let them keep something(s), the point is grant them control. Then if a pack is too heavy, offload the crew gear.

Go slight overkill with the repair kit and practice your MacGyver skills - if something can break or fall apart it will. Never had all these things happen on one trek, but soles delaminate, shoe laces break, buckles break, seams bust, pads leak, etc.

Blisters will likely be the #1 first aid need - talk about when lacing up to start, and ask at most every break. Share your stories with blisters, and if you preventively tape, show and tell. Still though, some will ignore until too late. When called to your attention Leukotape the hot spots and Spenco 2nd skin gel held in place with leukotape drained blisters.

Rose and thorns - depending on group dynamics the kids may like the name "shits and grins".

Ditto the packfit checks - and note, some kids will be small frame and the hipbelt regardless will not stay put. A fleece jacket or sweat shirt tied about the waist can make a workable hipbelt "shelf".

Lastly, keep in mind that a primary function of the adult leadership is to provide a reasonably safe "playing field" where the kids can do things their way, create their own problems, figure things out, explore and learn. As mentioned, some will need to be reined in for their physical safety, also some will need assistance when they can't figure it out on their own. If you see someone getting overly frustrated asking "do you want help or want to figure it out yourself? 9 times out of 10 they'll choose to keep trying, but not endlessly and if they don't get it after a couple attempts they will ask for help.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

stevet wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:33 am Great guidance here. Expanding on a few...

Rose and thorns - depending on group dynamics the kids may like the name "shits and grins".

Ditto the packfit checks - and note, some kids will be small frame and the hipbelt regardless will not stay put. A fleece jacket or sweat shirt tied about the waist can make a workable hipbelt "shelf".

Lastly, keep in mind that a primary function of the adult leadership is to provide a reasonably safe "playing field" where the kids can do things their way, create their own problems, figure things out, explore and learn. As mentioned, some will need to be reined in for their physical safety, also some will need assistance when they can't figure it out on their own. If you see someone getting overly frustrated asking "do you want help or want to figure it out yourself? 9 times out of 10 they'll choose to keep trying, but not endlessly and if they don't get it after a couple attempts they will ask for help.
Nice. Love the hip belt solution!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, perhaps time for a story. Sometimes you will have to find a creative solution to a problem and even be the "bad cop".

We checked all the kids' packs before we left, yet one kid hid an unallowed item. As days went on this kid had trouble carrying his pack. Some of his gear was given to others who were quite miffed that they had to help. Finally, one of the students came to me saying the kid was evangelizing to them and was carrying an honest to goodness full size bible. After a talk with the kid, we came up with a solution. First, I assured him that God would like for him to take a break from evangelizing. Second, we had a respectful funeral and buried his bible where he had the last word (prayer). Things improved quite a bit after that. In a later climbing class, the kid was having trouble getting up a steep slab (roped up). He just let go and hung there, saying "if I only had more faith". I answered, " you need more friction"! He even laughed at that.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

balzaccom wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:55 am I would suggest one of the gravity filter systems. You set it up, hang it on a tree, and take turns monitoring it. These work really well, and avoid the issue of taste with the chemical solutions. I've used then in groups up to a dozen adults without any issues.
Different strokes, I guess. BTW, most 2-part chem treatments do not taint the flavor of the water, as the sole purpose of the second step is breaking down the disinfectant (first step) chemical into oxygen, and other gases which leave the water. Read the product label; avoid the systems that are based on iodine reagents. I prefer the pills, because they don't foul, don't freeze, and have no parts that can break.

The reality is the majority of lakes and streams in the Sierra are potable without any treatment. Everyone has stories about getting giardia, but almost always they got sick because somebody's poor personal hygiene contaminated the food. There are surveys conducted on wilderness water quality by various universities. I monitored one such project for several years, and realized the results were consistent, year to year. They cited specific factors that increase the likelihood of a given water source should may be suspect. Thus I rarely ever treat my water. Part of my trip planning is identifying water sources that lack upstream human, equine and bovine activity. So the pills are my Plan B, for occasions when I cannot make it to my planned water source, and for when a particular stop lacks a water source meeting my criteria.

The only time I got sick from Sierra water was when I took mountain water home, and drank it a week later. Apparently the micro fauna population present bloomed in the meantime time, enough to overwhelm my gut's immune defenses. Fortunately that bug passed in a day or two; otherwise I haven't gotten sick drinking untreated Sierra water. Thus I conclude that regardless if your water is filtered, treated or unprocessed, it behooves you to completely replace your bulk supply at least once a day, to preclude a population bloom of the micro organisms from building up. .

Ed
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:26 am Well, perhaps time for a story. Sometimes you will have to find a creative solution to a problem and even be the "bad cop".
Todd was the guy in our Boy Scout troop who was notorious for gassing out, requiring the rest of us to take turns shouldering his pack. On one multiday trip one of the senior scouts got exasperated, and dumped out Todd's pack, exclaiming, "what the @#$! do you have in your pack"?! Then a large bundle of Hersey chocolate bars wrapped in 12 gauge copper wire tumbled out. The other scouts pounced on the candy cache like frenzied piranhas. Todd was able to carrying his own pack on all subsequent trips.

Ed
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Aidan, Good Morning from Ian.

You also asked specifically about the inspirational side of things. I think you're familiar with Deep Ecology texts, and probably Gary Snyder, Ed Abbey, et al. You might reread favorite sections of those for ideas on how to turn young people on to a deeper relationship with nature. You might decide to take along a few favorite books with the sort of quotes that fit what you are trying to teach and share. Some of Chief Seattle's words carry the feeling I am thinking of, though it's sad in the context:

"Every part of this earth is sacred to my people. Every shining pine needle, every sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods, every clearing, and humming insect is holy in the memory and experience of my people. The sap which courses through the trees carries the memories of the red man."

Something that can make the youths' time out there feel special will be to talk to them about how much they can do, and learn on this trip. They can learn about all the native animals who live there, and keep a growing list of who they've seen. You might share the idea both about learning the names of the flowers and trees, but also tell them that they can learn to recognize and enjoy them without the names. You might have them smell the Jeffrey Pines, and the Christmasy smell of crushed fir tree needles. They should toss the pine cones around, and maybe show them all of the different cones and seeds. They may feel it's cool that they are doing things and learning things that other people are sadly missing out on. And some may like the feeling that like original peoples everywhere, they are really becoming "native" to the land by spending time living with it. It really is such a timeless and elemental thing to be living with the land, and moving through it by walking. To be looking for animals, and making camps for the night. (Any chance of fires where you're going?) I think many kids love the idea that they are living a wild life, and getting back to nature. Explaining how native peoples would create everything they needed right out of nature is a cool lesson. You might ask them how they think native peoples made their camps, and homes; how they made fire; how they caught animals for food, and harvested food from plants. Hopefully, they will come up with good answers. Then show them how, and tell them more about all of the wild foods, and wild skills native people had/have. I love the native concept of having a sacred land- a place that you know so well that you can travel to it in your mind. That sacred land was a great source of strength. My friend just reminded me of a scene from the film Crocodile Dundee. Remember when the New York journalist asks Dundee about the Aboriginal people they just saw. She says something like: "Do they feel like they own all of this land?" And Dundee corrects her, saying something like: "No, you got it backwards. They feel that the land owns them." While I usually avoid Hollywood references, that is a pretty cool scene, and I reckon it's accurate, and applied to most native peoples.

You mentioned easing the pain of long walking Aidan. Tell them that they are getting stronger every day. And point out that young people everywhere throughout time have explored nature by hiking through it. That the boldness, and strength of young people was at times a great help to the tribe, since they were the ones willing and able to explore further, and they could find the best new land, or unknown herds of animals. You might talk about how native young people went on quests, and sometimes solos, as a coming of age challenge. The youths in your group may begin to see the mental and physical challenge of this trip in this light. Formal initiation ceremonies are sorely lacking in our modern society.

I'll throw out some ideas that may help your youths experience the magical feeling we have out there.
One amazing thing that will be around you in the Sierra is the granite mountains. Many of us have learned to see the granite as "the bones of the Earth." And you can share this vision Aidan. Partly by explaining some basic geology- that the granite you're looking at is really a view of the inner Earth. That it is hardened magma, formed about 3-5 miles beneath the surface. The deep ecology angle to this is going to be a challenge to impart to 10-14 year olds, but you are the one to pull it off Aidan.

You can explain the difference between the physical elements of the world, and the biologic, and how the two come together beautifully. For instance, when the plantlife (biologic) literally "eats" the (physical) sunlight, and then in turn, feeds all the animals, including us humans. Or, when the hard rock weathers into tiny bits, mixes with chemical nutrients, and also with microorganisms to become the living soil. It's a cool, deep ecology game to learn to separate the physical elements from the biological. The term "biosphere" may be a cool term to get them to see that living, biological world in its totality. Every so often, you can hold up objects and ask the question: "physical," or "biological"? I know you know all about this Aidan, since we did homeschooling together, so if you want to, you'll run with this game, and do it well. The subtleties are the "physical world," which are sometimes invisible, sometimes not. Neat examples: "who can tell me what those clouds are- physical, or biological?" "Right you are- "physical," at least till a bird flies into it." "Okay, what about the air we're breathing right now?" "You can feel it, can't you?- So is it physical, or biological?" Hopefully some jokers will have fun with this, and say "It's physical, except when we suck up mosquitos and flies.!"

You'll have to decide if this will work with at least some of your kids Aidan; it may be more for an older group than yours. If it seems too "sciency," perhaps you might just keep with the native people reconnecting to nature" ideas above, and go deeper with that.
I would share with them the idea that I know you feel deeply Aidan-- that is, that the days we get to spend out in nature, like on this trip of theirs right now, can be the very best and most memorable times of our lives..... and then hope that a big, blond Black Bear wanders slowly by.

Good luck out there Aidan, Ian and Lizzie.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.