Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by SirBC »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:50 am SirBC, was the $6 a cancellation fee the same fee you paid to get the permit? I recall it is a per person FS fee PLUS a permit administrative cost to reserve.gov. I am trying to figure out if you pay both to get the permit and then additional fee to cancel. So was it: $24 paid, $18 refunded, $6 lost to cancellation. Is the refunded fee put back on your credit card? Or does it become a credit for a future reservation?
I think it was $5 per person and a $6 permit (?) fee, so for the 4 people it was $20 +$6 for $26 total. The $20 was refunded to my credit card but not the $6.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: cancellation fees

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:22 am I have been reading information on permits and trying to figure out if cancellation fees are applied. I am confused about what they call a "$10 cancellation fee" that is "sometimes" applied. Apparently, there is an $8 reserve.gov fee when you apply, which is not refundable. Is there an additional $10 fee if you cancel too close to the entry date? That seems counterproductive if you want to encourage people to cancel when they do not plan to use the permit. Perhaps that only applies to front-country campgrounds? If you change the number in your group, say got a permit for 6 and only 3 are actually going, if you release the three unused permits, does that COST you a change fee?

I guess the real question is: Does doing the right thing by cancelling if not using your permit, cost you extra? If so, why are they punishing people who do the right thing.
I believe the $10 cancellation fee is only for campground reservations (at least that's the only thing that I've seen). You are correct that the Res.gov fee is non-refundable. Finally, yes, if you want to change a wilderness reservation from 6 people to 3 people, Booze Allen will make you pay them more money as a change fee to free up those permits. As far as I know, you can still cancel a permit without paying them more money, but I haven't cancelled a permit since 2020. It's a disgusting government approved shakedown operation where they set the fees and NONE of those fees - that typically exceed the actual park fees - goes towards maintaining the park and facilities.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, there is what could be why there are more unused permits with the current system! What a disincentive to free up permit slots that your group does not use, if you get charged for doing the right thing! Not sure the intent, but it is an outrageous, back-door, and sneaky way trail quotas can be reduced without public comment input.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: what does "JWT has expired" mean

I am trying to book two trips. The first went fine. Trying to do the second, I had to stop and call Sierra National Forest to clear up a permit pick-up problem. When I got back to reserve, all I get is a message, JWT has expired. I got out and then went back in- the same message. What do I do now?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I got back in after turning off the computer and waiting. Is there any way to quit the 15-minute window once it starts?

For other's information, Sierra National Forest allows you to pick up two consecutive permits (mine were from Bear Diversion and Florence Lake) without going back out that horrible road for the second. You just have to call them a few days in advance of your first permit so they can print the second one.

I have always been impressed at how use-friendly Sierra National Forest is. I wish I could say the same for Inyo.

So, now I have my permit for the Meet-Up! And a second 10-day trip to Ionian Basin. One day between for a nice hot shower at Mono Hot Springs.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Does anyone know about the road (4wd?) access from Bishop to Horton Lakes trailhead? I can't get through to a person at the USFS office in Bishop. We are considering Horton Lakes as an interesting new way to reach Humphreys Basin, then French Canyon, and on to Bear Basin for the Meetup. It says to take the Buttermilk road, and then 4wd roads from there to get closer to Horton Lakes. Are these "real" 4wd roads, or manageable with cars? We'll have a medium clearance, 6 cylinder van. In the past, I've had pretty good success stradling ruts, and thrashing little cars up to trailheads.

Thanks for the advice.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.