Caves of Sequoia-Kings Canyon

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Caves of Sequoia-Kings Canyon

Post by Lenier »

Can't believe I had not seen this thread before. Anyone around that could put me in contact with a Sequoia caving group? I love off-trail hiking, I love the foothills, and I love caves. I'd love to see them and learn the ropes. I've taken some casual interest over time - mostly after accidentally finding the entrance to Lilburn a few years ago.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

CRF administers Lilburn Cave, or at least it did until a big forest fire burned through there a couple of years ago. It's the longest cave in the state.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

The San Joaquin Valley Grotto is pretty active and can help with trips. I've gone on a few outings with them and they're super accommodating with newbies.

https://facebook.com/groups/sjvgcaving/
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

One of the grottos is probably your best bet to check out local caves. CRF is more of a small research group and they're great, but not really recreational. I joined and attended their meetings and when I finally got registered for my first Lilburn trip, Covid ruined it. They're finally up and running again and making trips but the cabin they used to stay in burned in a fire so now they're just camping. I'm bummed I never got the chance to stay in the research cabin, even though it was nothing fancy.