Sacratone Flat Trail (33E19) near Kern River

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
katemonster
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sacratone Flat Trail (33E19) near Kern River

Post by katemonster »

Does anyone know what state the Sacratone Flat Trail (33E19) is in? (overgrown or managed?) It's the northbound section of trail between where the Rincon Trail joins the Kern River (across from Forks of the Kern) and Lion Meadow Trail. I initially saw this trail on the "ExtremeLine Productions" Outdoor Recreation Topo Map called "The Kern River Sierra," but can't find any other info on it. I know it was in the burn area of a fire a few years ago (2017?).

I'm hoping to hike northbound on the Rincon Trail, connect it to Sacratone Flat Trail, and then to the Kern River Bridge. The other option I'm considering is Rincon Trail to Cedar Canyon Trail to Old Sheep Driveway Trail.

Thanks!
(experienced backpacker, off-trail, fishing, bouldering)
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sacratone Flat Trail (33E19) near Kern River

Post by richlong8 »

I can give you a little information. The trail system on the east side of the Kern is still in place, including the Sacratone Flat trail, though it has been burned more than once in the last 50 years. I was on it just a few years ago. But I did not access it from the Rincon. I came in from the Kern Plateau, from the Beach Meadows area, which eventually puts you down on the river in the Osa and Soda Creek area confluences with the Kern. The maps show that there is trail up the east side of the river from Osa Creek to the bridge, but I have not tried to go up more than a mile that way. Whatever trail there is not near as good and maintained as the west side of the river trial. Perhaps the only advantage would be an early season access before the roads open up on the plateau, by coming up the Rincon. From the Forks trailhead, it is a relatively quick trip to the bridge. The Old Sheep Driveway trail is supposed to be long abandoned. I have been to Durrwood Creek on the Rincon a number of times, and somewhat up the Cedar Canyon trail. If you do not have the book by former ranger Jim Jenkins, Exploring the Southern Sierra: East Side, ISBN#0899971288, (there is another for the west side), I would highly recommend them. They are still the best source for hiking info in the Southern Sierras. I live in Bakersfield, so the Southern Sierras tend to be my day hiking and conditioning playground while I am waiting for the snow to melt. But I do try to get one fishing trip into the more remote areas of the Kern in the fall, after water levels drop. So I am fairly familiar with the area....