Ever felt burnt out on the backcountry?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
FrankPS
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ever felt burnt out on the backcountry?

Post by FrankPS »

When I was about 41, I started getting tired of "just backpacking." I took up climbing, but still backpacked.

Now that I'm older, I enjoy just backpacking even more. I like to add in some cross-country, both to test my navigation skills and to see new areas that trails won't get me to.

I go on about 4 short High Sierra trips (3-6 days) each summer.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

i was starting to feel that a little but i inadvertently switch over to spending more time in the desert. It wasnt planned life during the last couple summers just started kind of getting in the way so only did a couple family trips to the mountains and I found myself burning up vacation time in the fall/winter/spring in the desert instead. The desert is absolutely fantastic. The vibe out there is so thick. Death Valley, Joshua Tree, and Anza Borrego has a lot to offer. Just dayhiking but it more than scratches the itch
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Being retired, I can relate to getting burned out. I no longer have time constraints but have learned to take breaks from backpacking anyway. Do not think you have to go out all the time- that becomes a chore. But I am not you- so you really need to be honest with yourself. Maybe you are truly done with it.

Start seriously looking at maps and figure out places YOU have not been and ignore everyone else's bucket lists. Your comments sound to me like you are not following your inner self. Expand to other mountain ranges. Do more day-hiking. Think about base camping and day-hikes to surrounding places- you then get to enjoy without lugging a pack. Start fishing? Photography? More 2-4 day trips? Perhaps you are more social than we solo backpackers. Or get more socialization between backpack trips. Or what about road trips? Kyaking?

Perhaps you need more "adventure" - more challenging activities. When I was younger, I was into mountaineering and rock climbing with backpacking only a means to get to the climb. As I got older, I transitioned to backpacking as a reward in itself.

I am a reluctant starter. I often have trouble simply packing up and getting out the door! But once I get out there, I enjoy each trip. And I enjoy every trip many times over by writing up trip reports and processing photos.

We are so lucky living in California- there are so many different backpacking venues. I love coastal and desert hiking in the winter.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

As I get older, and it is getting harder, yes, it does affect me. After doing the Cloud Canyon-Deadman Cyn. Loop a couple of years ago during that horrible monsoonal period, That was a trip I felt very unsatified after completing. Miserable conditions. I find I am less willing now to ride out bad weather or other things I do not like. I am a little burned out on the whole recreation.gov permitting process, and I am thinking seriosly about making the long drive to the Wind River Range to rekindle my Sierra mojo!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

We take several multi-week/multi-month trips in the RV every year.

After 6 weeks or so, I am ready to go home. We move to new area every 1-2 weeks and hike, explore, and sightsee. But after a while I still miss home.
About three weeks at home and I start planning the next trip.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=