Need suggestions for Replacing Favorite Tent

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need suggestions for Replacing Favorite Tent

Post by Harlen »

Good Morning fgaipa, and those are great places for your continuous explorations. I am keen to climb Arrow Peak; I'll bet you have been up that mountain. How about climbing Vennacher Needle? I loved the views from the summit, especially into the remote Lake Basins below:

100_4951.jpg

100_4982.jpg

We climbed a couple new peaks on that trip, which was one of my very favorite trips into the Sequoia-Kings high country. I'll send the link below: viewtopic.php?t=21571 TR: Lake Basins of the Kings, At Long Last.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
swimjam
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by swimjam »

Take a look at the Big Agnes Tigerwall 2.
It's double walled, and "mostly" freestanding, a small 2 person tent that weighs 2 lbs. This is the tent the wander daisy was considering in the post suggested by Harlen. I've been using this up in the granite. The footprint is small, so it's easy to find a space in the rocks. The corner tie-outs (non-freestanding bit) don't require much force... rocks work well for this. It has a luxurious volume for 1 and does not require trekking poles. This tent packs down super small and does not break the bank.
fgaipa
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fgaipa »

For the time being, I'm waiting on the Vardo. When I called, I immediately got the developer or one of them. The 2024 will have a somewhat light er bottom material and perhaps be in stock by May. I don't mind the half pound for the Vardo's simplicity. If I don't get it by my June 30 trip, I might even jury-rig my failed Big Sky for one more trip; it sags without the missing pole attachment(s) is all.

I'm also considering two Zpacks: Free Duo (30.1 oz but out of stock) or Duplex with Freestanding Kit. But I don't like their A-frame like profile.

fg
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

Harlen wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:04 am SirBC says:
This was in the Coast Mountains in British Columbia, about 12 hours north of Vancouver.
So, that might be somewhere in here:

100_2570.jpg Sadly, I've only experienced those mountains from the air. These photos were taken on a flight from Seattle to Ketchikan, AK., last spring. That's quite an icefield in the first photo; can you tell us what we're seeing SirBC?
Unfortunately I don't recognize that.
-------------
Dave | flickr
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

i ve been using the evolution 1. It just fits a 25" wide pad. but with 2 vestibules and several pockets it has plenty of Space for me 5'7' you could always reinforce the attachment points and I tie out the loops on the fly at the head end to prevent the mosquito netting from sagging.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!