Sassy SAR reports--- I'm here for it

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Sassy SAR reports--- I'm here for it

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, I think solo day-hiking, not equipped to sit out the storm, in winter on Mt. Washington in the middle of a storm is quite different from someone hauling themselves out after a climbing accident with companions to help, I assume in summer conditions. Nevertheless, I do admire people who are prepared to rescue themselves, if they can safely do that.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sassy SAR reports--- I'm here for it

Post by Gogd »

Harlen wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:38 am Me, I really admire the limpingcrab types, who haul their own broken asses out...
..His posted account of this was an instant classic. [Dan/limpingcrab wrote:
Anyway, here's a short TR about that injury. It's not very long but the comments make the page run on for a while.
http://www.supertopo.com/tr/How-Vitaliy ... 3359n.html
That supertopo link didn't send, but I found the article, and provide a link (below) that seems to work.
http://www.supertopo.com/tr/How-Vitaliy ... 3359n.html

Harlen's ski adventure and Dan's story made my broken arm in Fourth Recess look like child's play. It took some effort to get back down to the big lake with my pack, then schlep some miles back to the TH, but at least I could walk and from there had a good trail to navigate. My companions were very worried, I had to talk them down from asking an outfitter to ride me out, or summon a copter extrication (really?!). I suspect their real motives were fearing they'd have to assist me with "cat hole" ceremonies. I was in a tiff over having to cut the trip short more than anything else, but not concerned; we had whiskey after all.. ..Ian. The experience was more a discomfort than painful, per se. The break ended up being surprisingly serious, however, with the ulna pulverized into tiny pieces at the break, requiring a plate to effect the repair, and nearly four months in a cast before the fat lady sang. The arm is almost good as new, so happy ending. Do stupid things, get rewarded accordingly.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.