Buckeye Creek to Piute Meadows in Hoover Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jimhorning
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Buckeye Creek to Piute Meadows in Hoover Wilderness

Post by jimhorning »

Greetings,
I wonder if someone has recent (2022-2023) information about the condition of the trail between Buckeye Creek and Piute Meadows. going over Kirkland Pass. Since I will be going with my dog I'd rather the trail be in fairly good condition so that there is not a lot of bushwhacking. Some close vegetation and hoping over downed trees is not a problem I am just trying to avoid something where there are miles of no trail and having to push through a lot of vegetation; I've done plenty over the years and want to avoid it.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Buckeye Creek to Piute Meadows in Hoover Wilderness

Post by balzaccom »

We went up Buckeye Creek in 2021, and had taken the trail a couple of times before that. It's an odd trail--not very well marked for the first 5-6 miles or so, until you get to the "roughs" where you will see there is only one option going forward. Lots of cattle, and some of them quite close, if your dog cares about that. Expect ticks. We've never hiked it without finding some on our bodies.

The trail itself was in pretty good condition--except that we got hammered by some big thunderstorms every afternoon, and on our way out, we noticed a massive mudslide that had taken part of the mountain above and created a fifty-foot wide gully across the trail below the "roughs." I'm not sure how much maintenance the trail gets, so that may still be there. It wasn't impassable, but it got our attention.

And the crossing of Buckeye Creek early in the season can be an issue. We did it around 4th of july, and it was mid-thigh, although the current was slow enough that we were able to cross without any real difficulty. Your dog may or may not like swimming that.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just to be clear, exactly what parts of the trail you are concerned about? Are you going all the way out to the Buckeye trailhead or only to Kirkland Pass? Or down to the junction and then on to Peeler Lake? The Roughs are worth a visit, even if a day-hike- very impressive cliffs. The trail from Levette Meadows is used a lot by horsemen, so usually in good shape but it is very sandy- like walking on a beach that takes a bit more effort. I have not recently been over Kirkland Pass but do not recall anything that would be bad for a dog, other than some turbulent and deep water if you go peak flow not safe for a dog.

balzaccom's description of the section from Buckeye TH to the Roughs is very accurate. I have been stopped by the lower crossing. I must have hit it at peak flow because it got waist deep quickly. There is sagebrush and sticker bushes. May want to bring a small brush to get out begger's lice if you have a long haired dog.
jimhorning
Topix Novice

Post by jimhorning »

I want to start at Buckeye Trailhead and head west over Kirkland Pass and then north and down into Piute Meadows and then work my way into Emigrant Wilderness. We would be doing it in August so I don't think the river crossing is a problem; plus, my dog is a good swimmer. I don't seem to find much information regarding the descent of Kirkland into Piute and getting out of Piute and heading west into Emigrant. I'm trying to avoid Leavitt because of all the horses, sand, and dust.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

viewtopic.php?p=61000#p61000

This is a trip I did in 2012. Sorry but the photos are hard to see. It gives you an idea of the off-trail routes in the area. Not sure you want to do off-trail. From Piute Meadow there is a big trail that crosses and goes up to the "Lady Lakes". From there to the PCT and over into Emigrant. The off-trail route I did is very scenic but would take a few days. I think you could go from The Roughs to the "Lady Lakes" in a day. Dorothy Lake can get crowded with the PCT bubble goes through. The other lakes are a bit off-trail but more private. I think you would be well past that in August.

If you are interested in the off-trail route I could dig up a map. I can also add new photos if you would like that. I no longer use Photo Bucket.

LevitteMeadow_2012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Just anote to recommend the Lady Lakes. They are beautiful, and other than Dorothy,. not very crowded. esy cross-country from one to another.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
jimhorning
Topix Novice

Post by jimhorning »

Thanks! That's good information. I want to head down Kirkwood Creek into Piute Meadow and then towards the Lady Lakes, eventually heading into southern Emigrant. As that was 2012 the conditions in Kirkwood Creek and Piute Meadow may not be up-to-date. Or is it that many people get there from Leavitt and thus the trail between Kirkwood Pass and through Piute Meadow is in good condition. I don't mind going off trail as long as it isn't hairball dangerous and doesn't involved a lot of bushwhacking.
jimhorning
Topix Novice

Post by jimhorning »

I meant Kirkland Pass while also talking about Kirkwood Creek. Confusing names in the same area.