Easy two night backpacking trip w/off-trail?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Easy two night backpacking trip w/off-trail?

Post by Matthewkphx »

Yes she got some experience with skeeters dayhiking up the Piute Pass trail last July.

We do have flexibility on dates up until late July.

“What about two nights in a location at your 6-mile limit, then lots of day-hiking? That for me is perfect for a shorter duration trip.”

I’ve actually never basecamped and dayhiked. I like to keep moving but I’m definitely willing to try it out. Do you have a location in mind?
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

Matthewkphx wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:09 am Ed, do you mean “a bit over 12k’ “ in your last line?
No, I meant 13K+. I was referring to the elevation of the day hike objective, the saddle between Cloud Ripper and Peak13374.

As for as basecamp venues; all of the suggestions HST members have offered are good for a base camp trip, albeit some have more options, but all will provide good, opportunities for camp sites and activities of a short trip. What meets your criteria is going to boil down to personal preferences - lake view, sub alpine or alpine, panorama, protection from wind or seeking a breeze for reprieve from mosquitoes, peak bagging, picnicking, photo safari or fishing trip...

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Got it. Thank you!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

quick way to avoid crowds: make sure you start hiking at 6AM

Many good options mentioned here, but I think rock creek is one of the best due to its relatively little elevation gain and spectacular scenery
compared to other options.

Another area not mentioned is to split off the kearsarge pass trail to the matlock/bench lake area. It is not far, there are use trails but it feels like cross country. 1 day in, 1 day to poke around the lakes that sit under the spectacular north face of university peak, and 1 day out.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

Sabrina to Echo Lake (camp at a lake along the way), North Lake - Piute Pass - Desolation or Mesa Lake ( camp somewhere along the way), Bishop Pass to Long Lake and then climb Hurd Peak, Bishop Pass to Saddlerock or Bishop Lake and then climb Mount Goode.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

sparky wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 pm quick way to avoid crowds: make sure you start hiking at 6AM
Quick way to make sure your friend never takes another backpacking trip with you: make sure you start hiking at 6AM. :lol:
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

balzaccom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:46 am
sparky wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 pm quick way to avoid crowds: make sure you start hiking at 6AM
Quick way to make sure your friend never takes another backpacking trip with you: make sure you start hiking at 6AM. :lol:
Maybe, but I ALWAYS start hiking at dawn. I love the light at that time of day. In the summer that often means BEFORE 6AM.

Now, when I am with others, I make allowances. We usually don't get on trail until 7AM.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

[/quote]

[/quote]
Maybe, but I ALWAYS start hiking at dawn. I love the light at that time of day. In the summer that often means BEFORE 6AM.

Now, when I am with others, I make allowances. We usually don't get on trail until 7AM.
[/quote]

:lol: Just reminding you that the OP was taking someone along who had not done much backpacking...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963