Suggestions for 4-day backpacking trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pac_bob
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Suggestions for 4-day backpacking trip

Post by pac_bob »

Two Eastern Sierra suggestions: (1) Big Pine Lakes: off 395 below South Lake. You can set a base camp between Lakes 2 & 3 and explore, looping thru all the lakes back to the trail head (around 20 miles round trip). (2) out of Mammoth, take Duck Pass Trail down past Duck Lake to Purple Lake, then loop back to Mammoth up the JMT/PCT (around 30 miles round trip). However, highest points on both of these are around 10,000 ft.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

pac_bob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:22 pm 2) out of Mammoth, take Duck Pass Trail down past Duck Lake to Purple Lake, then loop back to Mammoth up the JMT/PCT (around 30 miles round trip). However, highest points on both of these are around 10,000 ft.
Just as a warning, the Devil's Postpile Shuttle is only running on weekends, while they repair the road, so no leaving at Red's, Devil's Postpile, etc on weekdays. The Lakes Basin Shuttle is running as usual.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

pac_bob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:22 pm Two Eastern Sierra suggestions: (1) Big Pine Lakes: off 395 below South Lake. You can set a base camp between Lakes 2 & 3 and explore, looping thru all the lakes back to the trail head (around 20 miles round trip). (2) out of Mammoth, take Duck Pass Trail down past Duck Lake to Purple Lake, then loop back to Mammoth up the JMT/PCT (around 30 miles round trip). However, highest points on both of these are around 10,000 ft.
the OP said:
I do not want a difficult trek as it will discourage her from doing any more such trips. A little challenge is fine but I don't want to it to be too difficult.
I would not recommend either of these two options, both would be considered strenuous to 50+ age group that has done little backpacking. I've taken several women who considered themselves in "good" physical condition to Big Pine Lakes. They were struggling by Lake 1 and totally gassed by Lake 3. I have several male friends who will not go there again, because of the physical demands of this trail. As for Duck Pass; this trail takes you to almost 11K'; that alone make the hike strenuous for those who backpack only several times a year, let alone people who yet to experience what hauling a backpack entails.

You will have your hands full enough acquainting her to the art of rustic camping, convincing her backpacking is a great pastime, without adding the toil of steep trails and high altitude.
  1. A good newbie starter for all ages is Little lakes Valley (Eastern Sierra, south of Mammoth, exit at Tom's Place) You can reach suitable camp sites with minimal altitude gain, and pick destinies ranging from about a mile from the trailhead to as far as your legs can drag you.
  2. Green Lake (north of the Virginia Lakes exit on Hwy395) is short hike with relatively little altitude gain. This option has enough lakes and trails to keep you busy for a four day trip.
  3. Cottonwood Lakes is another Eastern Sierra venue, just south of Lone Pine. This trail may go to 11K', but has minimal steep sections. This is my favorite place to take newbies. It takes some effort but the lake basins are very pretty. And if you are up to it, Mt Langley gives you all of the views of Mt Whitney, but with no crowds; sometimes you get the summit to yourself.
Ed
I like soloing with friends.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Gogd wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:20 pm
pac_bob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:22 pm Two Eastern Sierra suggestions: (1) Big Pine Lakes: off 395 below South Lake. You can set a base camp between Lakes 2 & 3 and explore, looping thru all the lakes back to the trail head (around 20 miles round trip). (2) out of Mammoth, take Duck Pass Trail down past Duck Lake to Purple Lake, then loop back to Mammoth up the JMT/PCT (around 30 miles round trip). However, highest points on both of these are around 10,000 ft.
the OP said:
I do not want a difficult trek as it will discourage her from doing any more such trips. A little challenge is fine but I don't want to it to be too difficult.
I would not recommend either of these two options, both would be considered strenuous to 50+ age group that has done little backpacking. I've taken several women who considered themselves in "good" physical condition to Big Pine Lakes. They were struggling by Lake 1 and totally gassed by Lake 3. I have several male friends who will not go there again, because of the physical demands of this trail. As for Duck Pass; this trail takes you to almost 11K'; that alone make the hike strenuous for those who backpack only several times a year, let alone people who yet to experience what hauling a backpack entails.

You will have your hands full enough acquainting her to the art of rustic camping, convincing her backpacking is a great pastime, without adding the toil of steep trails and high altitude.
  1. A good newbie starter for all ages is Little lakes Valley (Eastern Sierra, south of Mammoth, exit at Tom's Place) You can reach suitable camp sites with minimal altitude gain, and pick destinies ranging from about a mile from the trailhead to as far as your legs can drag you.
  2. Green Lake (north of the Virginia Lakes exit on Hwy395) is short hike with relatively little altitude gain. This option has enough lakes and trails to keep you busy for a four day trip.
  3. Cottonwood Lakes is another Eastern Sierra venue, just south of Lone Pine. This trail may go to 11K', but has minimal steep sections. This is my favorite place to take newbies. It takes some effort but the lake basins are very pretty. And if you are up to it, Mt Langley gives you all of the views of Mt Whitney, but with no crowds; sometimes you get the summit to yourself.
Ed
I agree with you. Thats why I agreed with the other HST member to do Cottonwood Pass and have a choice to do New Army Pass if your up to it. I don't like going to LLV because there's just too many people. Its a beautiful place but too many people, maybe during the weekday would be good. Green lake and East are good choices too and I think their won't be as many there or by Horseshoe Meadows TH than LLV. Thanks for your suggestions to the new HST member. We all here to help each other.

Texan
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

As for strenuousness of the route it also depends on weight of your pack. Seriously do your trip light if not ultra-light. No need for a pack to be more than 20-25 pounds for a 4-day trip. Go slow and steady. As for altitude, IF you or your friend have been at 10,000 feet with little problem before, then in August altitude can be your friend. Any hike up out of Owens Valley will be hot. The higher the starting trailhead to cooler it will be. And always when taking a newbie, base the pace on all-day comfort for THEM, not you. Do not get far ahead. Do not make them feel rushed. Be sure your friend has at least walked around, even on a day hike, with the pack and weight she will be carrying. I am not suggesting you carry all the weight but do carry the extra luxuries and weight proportionate to your height/weight and experience. Good sleeping pad is also a must. If you cannot sleep you will not have a fun trip.

I have taken raw beginners, from sea-level inner cities, who have never stepped off a sidewalk who do quite well while others struggle more. It is very individual. Anyone can get altitude sick if you push the pace too fast. In my experience, beginners who continue backpacking fall in love with the wilderness and a longer (but not grueling) route does not seem to be a deal-braker. Good equipment, proper fitting pack and shoes and the right clothes have a lot more to do with comfort on the trail. Just talk to you friend and have her participate in choosing the route. Have hard statistics, like miles, elevation gain, and a conservative estimate of time that you will be carrying a pack for each day.

I kind of chuckle at someone who thinks 50 is older. My daughter is turning 50 this year! She is in her athletic prime. And old "mom" has a list of nice strenuous Sierra backpacks to do this summer.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:35 pm I kind of chuckle at someone who thinks 50 is older. My daughter is turning 50 this year! She is in her athletic prime. And old "mom" has a list of nice strenuous Sierra backpacks to do this summer.
Chuckle AT someone? I'll assume you just made a poor choice of words and meant to chuckle at the concept of 50 = older, and not AT the person you aledge to have that mindset... Ok, I'll be your Huckleberry! First off that is your interpretation of my comments, re-read the post, I made a statement in the context of relative vitality, not chronological status. Hence the context of my statement. And addressing the thoughts behind your comment, deeming 50 as old can either a relative observation, or a subjective opinion. Fifty is young for a sequoia, but 50 is well over half of the life expectancy of humans. So 50 is relatively older. And that observation is driven home, noting over 60% of the US population is under 50, making that age old, relative to the general population. And we can put the subjective POV to rest, noting we may know of someone who is in their prime at 50, but for the VAST majority of humans of that age the reality is their prime years are in the rear view mirror.

In any case getting persnickety over our choice of words misses the point. We are trying to provide advice that best addressed the OP's inquiry. If someone couches such a request in the context of age and lifestyle demographics, I am going to assume the inquirer wants a reply contextual to the societal norms fitting those descriptions. It just makes sense. My 100 pound daughter can truck along shouldering a pack 30% of her body weight - I guess both of our kin have that gene. This 70+ old "dad" with myriad health issues intends to schlep a 60 pound pack to this summer's HST Vee Lake soiree, and you have your dance card full with a nice list of trips for the summer. Good for us, we like to play hard! But the inquirer wasn't asking what we or our daughters can do, they were asking what made sense for their plans. I'd be remiss to randomly suggest anyone attending the HST meet-up outfit and provision by my personal preferences, and unwise for us suggesting a total stranger might consider challenging their newbie partner's limits, hoping that will hook them on backpacking. I am positive you agree. So let's brag about our daughters, inspire younger generations with our exploits, and chuckle at being old - but not at each other.

Ed
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Agreed - word should have been "when" not "at". Nevertheless, you seem to have missed the bulk of what I was saying- that there is more than the strenuousness of route that will factor in if someone continues to backpack or not. Everyone is different. As well as what each person thinks of as strenuous. Since the woman in question is already an athlete, you could also aim too low. Maybe already considered and done, but she should be fully participating in the trip planning and choices of route. Some good suggestions have been pointed out in everyone's posts. I am sure the couple will have a wonderful time, regardless of route. Much of the reward is being out with a person you like to be with.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:23 am Agreed - word should have been "when" not "at". Nevertheless, you seem to have missed the bulk of what I was saying- that there is more than the strenuousness of route that will factor in if someone continues to backpack or not. Everyone is different. As well as what each person thinks of as strenuous. Since the woman in question is already an athlete, you could also aim too low. Maybe already considered and done, but she should be fully participating in the trip planning and choices of route. Some good suggestions have been pointed out in everyone's posts. I am sure the couple will have a wonderful time, regardless of route. Much of the reward is being out with a person you like to be with.
Agree 100%
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Thanks for the clarification WD, I have the highest regard for your opinions.

Actually I agree with your and Paul's sentiments. Note all of my recommendations enable one to get to an easy base camp, if that is what works. But they can also make camp at next lake or over the next pass if they still have gas in the tank. All of the venues I list can be extended deeper into the mountains, as all are part of larger trail systems. Literally all three suggestions have access to an entire mountain range, should they be so inclined. If they have the moxie, it would be fantastic if they made their way to Fourth Recess Lake (Rock Creek TH) summited Camiaca Peak (Green Lake TH) or made it to Mitter Basin (Horseshoe Meadows TH). I think the big unkown is they don't have access to tall mountains, back east, so her capacity for hiking in steep, elevated terrain is an unknown factor. Given this consideration, whatever the itinerary may be, it behoove them to include a contingency to dial it back, should that become necessary. That is why I suggested venues that have the option for reduced miles and effort, and suggested a basecamp style hike, so they won't be obligated to a forced march in order to get back to wherever the car is parked.

He should have her read all of these suggestions. And she definitely should participate in the planning of this trip. @PacBob: CalTopo is a good online map for this purpose. Planning is an essential part of the adventure; it increases the sense of ownership of the plan, as well as develops the skill to divine a tabletop plan into something that fits your expectations. It is a beautiful thing when a plan culminates in an enjoyable adventure. She deserves the opportunity to experience that. I get the NOLS mission, albeit use a more nuanced approach when encouraging adults to extend themselves beyond their customary comfort zones. The OP and friend should do quite well, he asked the right questions, seems to have the right priorities, and now has a bunch of options to choose from. I guess my final advice would be to make sure to pack along some wine for the in-camp day. You guys probably concur on this point, too!

Ed