How did you all do in the storms?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

How did you all do in the storms?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We just got our power back after nearly 3 days. This year fortunately, no downed trees in our yard, but neighbor's tree knocked down a power line. I hope everyone is OK, particularly those of you who live in the heavy-hit areas.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How did you all do in the storms?

Post by Harlen »

Same story here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, and a bit closer to home. Our neighbor's Redwood tree lost its top 30' which landed right on our main power line, which is now pinned to the ground, but miraculously unbroken. We kept power through that, but then above us, downed lines cut the power for 2 days. I'll leave the neighbor's treework to PG&E, but I am going to call friends and clients to see what kind of treework I might have for myself. The wind was the strongest we've ever had here- gusting 40 to 50 knots! Up on the ridges it must have been really wild. Good luck.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I did good because I live in Chandler Az now. My brother lives by Lake Isabella and it wasn't so good. The Kern Canyon had lots of rocks on the road but not as much damage from the runoff last year. Some relatives of mine in Orange county had minor flooding and few tree down. I almost forgot my brother told me the wind was very strong by Lake Isabella too, he's lucky he didn't get a power outage.

Texan
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I just go my power back on tonight (Wednesday). A douglas fir down the street took out the power lines on Sunday afternoon. Fortunately it missed the two nearby houses. PG&E didn't get around to begin dealing with it until yesterday. I know other people in San Geronimo Valley who are still without power due to trees taking out the power lines. We also had a section of one of our fences taken out on Sunday.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

In Napa we had something between 2 and 4 inches of rain in 24 hours. that's a lot, but it's not catastrophic. Even when you add in the previous storm, it's only about 5-7 inches over the past week. They've put out flood advisories, but only for the low lying areas that flood every winter. Lots of tree down, and about 10% of the homes lost power---that has now been restored in most places.

Up at our cabin, at 3,800 feet below Yosemite, it's been 2 inches of rain, and no snow until this last storm.I expect there will be plenty of snow there for the rest of the week
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I am snowbirding in Arizona. Currently in Bullhead City. Crazy rain and wind last night. Woke up to snow on the higher desert peaks, with still a good whitecap on Spirit Mountain visible from my campsite.
Earlier in Jan I was on the Colorado River near Parker. It has been cool and windy all month, with scattered showers most days. Have not been able to get my quota of desert hiking in.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I wrote:
.....Our neighbor's Redwood tree lost its top 30' which landed right on our main power line, which is now pinned to the ground, but miraculously unbroken. We kept power through that, but then above us, downed lines cut the power for 2 days. I'll leave the neighbor's treework to PG&E, but I am going to call friends and clients to see what kind of treework I might have for myself.
I had no idea that my calls would lead me up a couple of wildly leaning Redwoods. They had to be removed to the ground, but first the tops cut away. Never quite calm work topping "leaners" in the best of times, but half-fallen trees in soaked ground added to the stress. With no nearby trees to tie a lifeline to, I would have to jump for it, if it went, so I had to untie from the tree before making the cuts. All worked out well, and I'm quite a bit richer for it. And today my son and I are back for a giant leaning Oak! This is why my time in the snowy Sierra time is so relaxing.

Now that I've been driving all around the Santa Cruz Mtns., the answer to the original question of how we did in the storms-- is NOT GOOD. Trees blown down everywhere! They are leaning on power lines, crushing houses, and "leaners" are threatening more. Boom times for tree workers, but tough on the homeowners around here.

A couple pics of tree work.

100_1363.jpg
I'm smiling with relief for managing to swing this giant Maple away from my friend's cabin

100_1455.jpg
A whole cabin!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

@Harlen would've given the Marlboro Man a serious challenge for most manly
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Credulous Bishop_Bob wrote:
@
Harlen would've given the Marlboro Man a serious challenge for most manly
I never expected anyone to believe my tall tales?

Bob, I have some more good reading for you: Paul Bunyan, The Winter of the Blue Snow. Here are a couple excerpts:

"Paul Bunyan's favorite food was raw Moose meat, and ever since he found Niagara [his Giant Wolf] he no longer needed to hunt. Each night Niagara trotted out in the darkness and satisfied his own hunger, then carried mouthfuls of moose to the cave until he had a days' supply for his master."
[I'll see if I can work out an arrangement like this with Bearzy. Sounds like a manly diet alright]

[And when Paul was tracking Babe the Blue Ox] "...From here a wide swath of smashed timber ran straight up the side of the tallest Northern mountain. It was here that Babe had made his thunderous roll of the night before. Six strides brought Paul Bunyan to the mountaintop..."
[You see, Bunyan was a dog lover and a mountaineer, so though we have things in common, my Bearzy will only bring me the odd squirrel, and I have never made it up a mountain in 6 strides! (It takes me at least 10 or 12.) :nod: