TR: Kearsarge Pass & Glen Pass (out & back) Aug 8-12, 2023

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Kearsarge Pass & Glen Pass (out & back) Aug 8-12, 2023

Post by kpeter »

Absolutely gorgeous photography. So richly detailed and crisp, and nice composition. A delectable treat to see those images in one of my favorite areas. Thank you for sharing!
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Kearsarge Lakes and Rae Lakes are ridiculously beautiful. It is always nice to see photos of that area. I especially like the Kearsarge Pinacles reflections.

thanks for sharing
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Cloudy
Topix Regular

Post by Cloudy »

They are all gorgeous photos! Been over Glen Pass on a windy day with a heavy pack and remember wondering how they got horses over it... Thank you for sharing. đź‘Ť
nonplussed
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by nonplussed »

Hi Grampy, just came across your trip report and realized we did nearly the same itinerary in the exact same week last year. My two friends and I hiked in and over Kearsarge on Aug. 7, staying at Charlotte Lake that night. Over Glen the next day, with the same travails as you (we actually got off-trail for a maddening little scramble approaching Glen, and the descent was also no fun at all, for all the reasons you mentioned). We spent two nights at Lower Rae near the thigh-high crossing. I went on a solo ramble up to Sixty Lakes and had a blast. Our plan on day 4 was to move camp back over Glen to Kearsarge Lakes south of the pass, but as we approached that junction, we looked at the dark gray sky and decided to bail instead. So we were out on Aug. 10. We very likely passed you somewhere up there! Absolutely stunning place.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Hi nonplussed -
The fact that you decided to bail early on the 10th -due to the gray skies - makes me feel a bit less sheepish about my decision not to go higher up the Sixty Lakes trail that same day. And yes, we probably did cross paths at some point.
Thanks for sharing.
KT5519
Topix Novice

Post by KT5519 »

Your photos are absolutely stunning and you are very humble. I kept thinking that it reminded me of someone whipping up a gourmet meal and then saying oh, this was a just a little something, nothing special. I especially loved the more clouds please shot, the gorgeous midnight blue of the thawing lake interspersed with the crisp white clouds behind.
Thank you for sharing your trip. I love that area and haven’t been there for a few years, it was lovely to revisit.