inside scoop on hwy 180?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gjanee
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

inside scoop on hwy 180?

Post by gjanee »

Wondering if anybody has the inside scoop on when (if?) Hwy 180 in Kings Canyon will be reopened this year? There's no info on the NPS site. Recreation.gov is not handing out permits for trails out of Roads End because the highway is closed (not just for winter, but for repairs). But if the road doesn't open after winter until May anyway, and there's perhaps more damage to fix...
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: inside scoop on hwy 180?

Post by grampy »

Here is an article (referencing info released by CalTrans) that describes the status of CA-180 repairs, but gives no prediction on date of completion -

https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/ ... ty-update/
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by commonloon »

Caltrans doesn't seem to want to guess when the repairs will be finished, and SEKI is assuming the worse as last I looked NO permits are being given for 2024 yet for trailheads down there. Ugh. Caltrans also posted this on Dec 8:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Hmmm... it'd be nice to know which of the five (5) sections that were damaged last winter have been repaired... if any. It'd also be nice to know which highways that were closed by (a.) last winter, and (b.) the hurricane remnant last fall (e.g., Whitney Portal Road) have been reopened. Just looked at Hwy. 33 in my maps app. and... closed. To be continued (!)
KT5519
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by KT5519 »

CalTrans Central Valley District 6 posted an update on where they are at with repairs on January 25th:
CalTrans 180 repair update Jan 25 2024.pdf

I live outside of Kings Canyon; the local word is that as long as the winter isn’t too crazy, CalTrans is optimistic about being able to reopen the road in mid to late June. The NPS section inside the park boundary does need some minor repair in a few areas but that isn’t expected to take too long, staff have already been able to drive there and assess. In short, I’d expect more definitive information sometime this spring and once that’s known SEKI will open up the area for backcountry reservations.

I certainly hope so; I miss Cedar Grove.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I was up at our cabin in Wilsonia and told by a ranger that they were "hoping for 2025." I've chosen to not believe them because that would be sad and it wasn't anyone with official information. I plan on asking around more soon, or emailing some people that should know. This was the first time in 15 years I wasn't in Cedar Grove and I miss it!

Hopefully someone on here has inside information that's better news, or that what the rest of you are hearing is accurate.
JayOtheMountains
Topix Acquainted

Post by JayOtheMountains »

It's not inaccessible. You can get a permit in via the Don Cecil Trail. Sure it may add a day on each end depending on your itinerary/intention, but there's reports on this forum from this last season that made it sound very inviting to be in the valley sans the usual congestion.