Early Season Snowpack Conditions- ESAC Reports

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Early Season Snowpack Conditions- ESAC Reports

Post by Harlen »

Below is a very small selection from the overall discussion found in yesterday's Forecast report by the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center.
Just wanted to note that their great site is up and running again for the 2023-24 season. We highly recommend checking it out, coupled with the NOAA Weather Forecast, as part of your winter travel planning process.
I keep my own "Snowpack Log," gleaned from these ESAC reports. When lazy, I simply copy the best parts of it verbatim into a computer file.

FORECAST DISCUSSION

....Snow showers last brushed our area in the final days of November. The last significant snowstorm, November 18th, brought about a foot of snow at higher elevations. Cold temperatures have allowed snow to stick around, particularly on the northern half of the compass above 8000’. In addition, there are patches of snow still lingering from last season. While this is good for future coverage, it may be problematic as we continue to build a layered snowpack. Weak, sugary facets dominate our current snowpack and this faceting process will likely continue over the coming days of cool and dry weather. This raises the potential for widespread weak layers. We will continue to monitor the snowpack as we look towards future loading events...

Here is a link to their website: https://www.esavalanche.org/

Good Luck out there!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Early Season Snowpack Conditions- ESAC Reports

Post by c9h13no3 »

Pretty standard early season snow pack stuff. What really makes me unhappy is the long term forecast. There's nothing in the long term that hints at a setup for big storms. We need a good AR to get this season kicked off proper.

610prcp.new.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Well Damn Sam,

I suppose you've still got your winter garden, and trail runnin to keep you busy, eh?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

:unibrow:
Harlen wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:41 pm Well Damn Sam,

I suppose you've still got your winter garden, and trail runnin to keep you busy, eh?
Staying busy is not a problem! But at this point in the year it has been sufficiently long enough since I last skied that I’d rather be skiing.

I’m also glad this board has transitioned to winter mode, where we can yuck it up about silly weather without feeling like I’m clogging up the channel with idle chatter :-)
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

We might have to sacrifice somebody to please the snow gods....
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

SNOOOOW wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:13 pm We might have to sacrifice somebody to please the snow gods....
Your absolutely correctly. Mammoth has had only 25 inches of snow this season and not a lot forecasted in the near future. Hopefully, February and March won't disappoint.

Texan
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

This current storm should increase the snowpack levels, it’s including -30 F windchill temps.🥶
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, things are filling in. The pace of things is below average, especially at lower elevation. But the snowpack is functional for winter recreation, at least in the northern & snowier parts of the state. Had my first tour, didn’t hit any rocks of note.

With more snow on the way, I’m for sure not panicking. Snow doesn’t look like it will impact hiking season this year, but there’s still time ;-)