Seeking some help planning 2024 Dusy and Ionian Basin Trek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seeking some help planning 2024 Dusy and Ionian Basin Trek

Post by Gogd »

SUGGESTIONS...

I noted you rate yourself a level 3 backpacker. As such the itinerary you state may be within your technical grasp, however I would be a little concerned that you may be biting off a bit much, physical endurance wise, to get all of this in an 8 day schedule. A lot of vertical gain/loss for that time span, much of it XC. Fatigue and route finding issues may stymie your endeavor, might ponder planning some contingency alternatives to the route, if you find yourself gassing out or short on time. Lovely areas, however.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
lostandfound
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by lostandfound »

Gogd wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:08 pm SUGGESTIONS...

I noted you rate yourself a level 3 backpacker. As such the itinerary you state may be within your technical grasp, however I would be a little concerned that you may be biting off a bit much, physical endurance wise, to get all of this in an 8 day schedule. A lot of vertical gain/loss for that time span, much of it XC. Fatigue and route finding issues may stymie your endeavor, might ponder planning some contingency alternatives to the route, if you find yourself gassing out or short on time. Lovely areas, however.

Ed
Hey Ed, thanks. We do always ensure numerous bail out points and alternatives as well as multiple forms of navigation and way finding. This group recently did the Tahoe rim trail (which is on trail the whole time) and have gone to sky blue lake in the miter basin and up mt Langley and Whitney. I can do things like Mt Badly near me without taking a break on the way up and back. That being said I don’t want to ever underestimate a new terrain especially one so unforgiving and remote. Wondering if you think that level of fitness and experience lends itself to that route. I’ve been captivated by pictures and love remote basins, but of course never want to be in over my head.

Ryan
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Regarding Ed's comment, he correctly is concerned with Ionian Basin itself. You will do fine on the trails and Lemark Col/pass is not too hard. And the issue is not physical strength but more of patience, caution and knowledge of the hazards. It may sound crazy but the more I experience I get with difficult terrain the more I am freaked out because I am fully aware of what can happen. I have had a few near-misses in Ionian Basin. Although I have done it solo, going in a group is safer.

Ionian Basin is hard to get into and hard to get out of safely in adverse conditions. Although you may have bail-out plans, you may simply get stuck in Ionian Basin, in open exposed terrain when you may have to hunker down for a day or two. Factor that in your schedule. It is not the place to push your luck. I would keep it in the plan but simply skip it if storms or lighting are in the forecast for the time period you will be in*. There is plenty to do and see in safer nearby locations that have sheltered camping. The micro-route-finding is challenging. Not that you cannot do it but plan for some backtracks and be careful not getting up or down something you cannot back out of. One of the biggest hazards are the steep snowfields so avoid times when you are forced to be on snow unless you have mountaineering experience.

*It would be helpful to have an PLB with capabilities to get weather forecasts.
The terrain is a foot-basher. You need very good grip and tread on your shoe soles and the rock is very sharp and slippery. Trail runners are likely not sufficient.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Ionian basin is un-gentle cross country - it's an endless dark rock talus field. Chasm lake is a reprieve but mostly being there means slow travel for slow travel's sake. I too love remote basins but, not so much that one. Of course if you're out to see it all you have to go.
lostandfound
Topix Novice

Post by lostandfound »

Gotcha thank you both. I do have a garmin in reach I use to get detailed forecasts. The plan is to sort of pop in over black giant, camp and chasm lake and then out over Wanda pass. Not too long of a stay. But I don’t want to go in there if there’s any chance of inclimate weather or large steep snow fields or glaciers.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

I've been fortunate, the 2 times I've traversed Ionian Basin, to go late season and have good weather. Early season with lots of snow, and inclement weather would have upped the challenge significantly. Should you be fortunate, your planned route through the eastern half, follows my exact first route. Black Giant Pass is straighforward, but the descent from Lake 11840 down into the "basin" requires some care. From there follow the northern "perimeter". This is a glorious trek in a wet-ish year with tundra and wildflowers and a couple very shallow tarns.

I was tempted to stop here and camp with a trail crew out on weekend leave, but thought better and opted for my original goal of Chasm Lake.

The descent to Chasm Lake also requires some careful "picking". There is a reasonably easy route down, staying left of the creek pouring out of the basin. Good camping is available about 1000 feet south of this creek, maybe 50 to 100' above Chasm Lake. Gorgeous there. And once you set camp, wander back to the creek and take a warm afternoon shower.

To exit Wanda Pass, head to the north end of Chasm Lake. Another inlet creek may or make not be running (depends on season) hike right up the creek or maybe left side/right side if flowing to Lake 11600. From there just pick your route to and over the pass (easy Class 2) and then through the arduous boulder field "maze" until reaching Wanda's shoreline.

There is nothing particularly difficult on this track and the solitude is a feeling of "really being out there" is unparalleled for a place less than a mile from the JMT.

The eastern "basin" from Chasm to Martha Lake is more challenging, both terrain and route-finding, and constitutes perhaps, my slowest x-country miles ever. Black basaltic rock, sinisteringly beautiful, daring you to the challenge and rewarding in achievement.

Hope your introductory Black Giant to Wanda Pass route works out. And if you like what you see, return to make a Black Giant to Martha Lake traverse.
lostandfound
Topix Novice

Post by lostandfound »

Awesome thanks for the details and confidence there Steve. That was exactly what I had hoped for, just dip my toes into Ionian and not get into anything too too dicey, but get future inspiration perhaps for something more ambitious and tough.

Those two areas you refer to needing to be careful about. I'm wondering if you're referring strictly to micro route finding on scree and rocks or is there some steep snow travel to be expected? Are spikes and/or axes recommended for this route? If theres a big snow year I don't plan on doing anything sketchy regardless.

And do you think that early to Mid September is a good time to shoot for? Or if you could go any time of year would you recommend another month?
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

My travels through Ionian basin were late August /early September. Neither year had any snow or ice.

On the 2 descents mentioned, it is possible to cliff out if on the wrong sides of the creek. The first descent is mostly crumbly crap and the lower descent to Chasm Lake slabs and ledges. You’ll need to look about to find the best line.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Should add, both descents face west so I would expect a late August trip even this year would be okay and it would be the ascent of Black Giant pass and the descent to Wanda Pass to contain the ice/snow. It would be water elsewhere. The ascent of Wanda is straight up the creek bed and the creek along the 2 descent may braid and cover parts of the route it took.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Here are a couple of trip reports that show a few photos of the Ionian Basin.
I found my trips through the basin challenging but not intimidating.
http://www.sierrahiker.com/Courtright-N ... index.html
http://www.sierrahiker.com/EnchantedGorge/index.html