TR: Sabrina Basin Aug 5-9 2023

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Sabrina Basin Aug 5-9 2023

Post by cgundersen »

I'd be curious whether your friend caught the Sierra bug? It's hard to make a better impression than what you cooked up on this trip. Aside from the bug nuisance, it looked as close to perfect as I can imagine. Thanks for a super report! Cameron
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

cgundersen wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:32 pm I'd be curious whether your friend caught the Sierra bug? It's hard to make a better impression than what you cooked up on this trip. Aside from the bug nuisance, it looked as close to perfect as I can imagine. Thanks for a super report! Cameron
I have taken my friend on several trips, including the HST meetup in 2016. But this was his first trip to the east side, and it was different for him. The higher starting elevation, shorter distance in, and just the immediate majesty of the surroundings. He seemed eager to take his own family to Sabrina Basin one day. There is definitely something different--more immediate eye-candy--going in on the east side, and he was impressed. He had never been across Tioga Pass nor driven down 395 before--the whole experience was new and wonderful for him.

He is also 15 years younger than I am and an avid hill-climbing cyclist. I've never hiked with anyone in better cardio conditioning. But he was patient with me. I sent him ahead to wait at strategic points since his conditioning was far beyond my own.

In short, I do think he has the bug!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Wow, sounds like the right guy to bring on a trip: sherpa service with a smile! All kidding aside, my wife and I love introducing folk to the Sierra and seeing it through their eyes: everything from rock gardens (your first photo lacked the ricks, but what a garden!) to thundering waterfalls, to majestic peaks and serene lakes. And you got it all in Sabrina basin. Cameron
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Thank you Peter for such a great report and the inspiration that goes with it. I need to further explore that basin. Your photos of Baboon Lake make me really want to get there! Finally, I don't know how you do it, but you managed to capture so well that array of many flowers in your first photo. I never seem to take decent photos of many flowers together, though that is the most interesting aspect-- the natural garden look. Congratulations on a fine trip and TR. Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

Beautiful photos! Love having a base camp in the basin, but it has been years now since doing that.

So that is who arranged those wood logs at George Creek. They have dammed it up so that the crossing is actually deeper. (I crossed it in July.)

I just dayhiked the basin yesterday. It is still very wet and green. Flowers galore! Moonlight Falls is still flowing vigorously but the snow has retreated a bit. Creek crossings were still very high, but that may've been due to a lot of rain on Sunday. There were big pools of water across the trail in some of the flatter sections.

And, those columbine on the switchbacks below Blue Lake are seemingly multiplying, with many blooms yet to open. What a year!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Wow, hikerchick, that is fascinating to know that the basin is still wet and blooming in September. It was such an unusual year. I have columbine in my garden that are blooming again in September! And thanks Ian and CG for your feedback and encouragement ;)
phonewentwest
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by phonewentwest »

:eek:
just WOW!
Great TR, and absolutely stunning photos! THANK YOU!
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
- Jackie Robinson
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

What a lovely area. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos and report.