TR: Mineral King Loop 8/2-8/5/2020

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Mineral King Loop 8/2-8/5/2020

Post by BigMan »

Thanks for the well-written TR and pics of one the best loops in the Sierra.

If you do go back, consider a side trip to Nine Lakes Basin and/or Precipice Lake.😊
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
LordXar
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by LordXar »

BardoPond wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:28 pm As fairly recent Sierra converts, my partner and I decided to embark on our first multi-day hike this summer. We went for a fairly standard loop in Mineral King (Timber Gap - Black Rock Pass - Sawtooth Pass) and took a few detours (some planned, some not quite). Thanks to advice from several HSTers we felt reasonably confident in our plan and gear.
Hey, I am considering this "half loop" to get to big 5 lakes and curious which half is "easiest" for those who aren't in the greatest shape and slightly bad knees. There is the the Timber Gap Trailhead on the right which of course circles into the Sawtooth Pass trail.. which is easy, going top and then into the big 5 lakes area OR going right and coming up to Big 5 Lakes.?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nozmo King
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Nozmo King »

I thought I read that Mineral King is closed for 2023? Going up Sawtooth Pass is a sandy slog. Glacier Pass is a bit less of a bummer but might involve crossing steep snow & ice as you head down to Spring Lake. Timber Gap is easier but the first hour or two from MK Valley is arduous. If you don’t mind a longer hike, you could go in via Franklin Pass & return to MK Valley thru Timber Gap. The Franklin Pass trail is well-maintained & has well-designed switchbacks.
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted

Post by BardoPond »

Timber Gap is more tedious with a lot of up and down, but it's the most straightforward route. Sawtooth Pass can be a bit confusing and going up the sandy slope from MK definitely sounds less fun than the other way around.

In terms of scenery, maybe the southern half packs more high mountain beauty with Columbine Lake and Lost Canyon. However, the trail around Little Five Lakes has a really serene kind of charm, and Black Rock Pass has great views on both sides.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I've only been in that area once, and my loop missed both of your passes, so your trip completes what I missed! I really enjoyed following along and filling in my own blanks.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Gorgeous photos. I already wanted to go to Little 5 and Big 5 Lakes as part of a trip. Now it looks like I should include Spring Lake on the way in.