White Divide & Tunemah Lake - September 13-22, 2023

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: White Divide & Tunemah Lake - September 13-22, 2023

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been to Lake 9797 and you really did not miss that much. The lakes below Finger Pass are much more scenic.

Great trip! I have been on most of your route, except never been over Hell-for-Sure Pass. How is the trail coming down? Is it easy to follow? In the past I have come up from Florence Lake. Going up the canyon I never have seen the trail junction to Hell-for-Sure. Maybe I just was not paying enough attention.

You got a taste of a lot of wonderful remote areas. I bet you will return to each for longer stays to enjoy each.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Incredible! Yep, that is about 3 long trips for me re the ground you covered. Thanks for posting as your photos and descriptions brought back many memories.
Slepak
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Slepak »

Thanks for all of these nice comments!
Slepak
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Slepak »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:39 am I have been to Lake 9797 and you really did not miss that much. The lakes below Finger Pass are much more scenic.

Great trip! I have been on most of your route, except never been over Hell-for-Sure Pass. How is the trail coming down? Is it easy to follow? In the past I have come up from Florence Lake. Going up the canyon I never have seen the trail junction to Hell-for-Sure. Maybe I just was not paying enough attention.

You got a taste of a lot of wonderful remote areas. I bet you will return to each for longer stays to enjoy each.
Thank you! The trail from Hell for Sure Pass is long :D and you have to climb 400ft to get to the bottom of the canyon. I lost the trail few times but I was able to quickly find it again. It was disappointing to miss the waterfalls that I could see from above. I bet that the lower Goddard Canyon is beautiful.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Andrzej, what a fantastic trip report, though you left out the big fight with the Bear!
Your photos are also fantastic. We really enjoyed first meeting you, and now we get to enjoy your trip report. We wish you would put together a few more trip reports from among your other annual Sierra adventures. You will thus be helping to keep us entertained through the winter slow season.
Ian and Lizzie and Carleton.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the report and great photos of an area I love.