TR: 20 Lakes Basin (October 17-20): Pulling dad out of retirement.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AidanDawn2000
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: 20 Lakes Basin (October 17-20): Pulling dad out of retirement.

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Well, I couldn’t quite let the sierras slip away for another year without trying to squeeze in that one last trip…
For companions I convinced my father to come out of backpacking retirement (he has been lost to the creature comfort crusted allure of car camping since the mid 90s). We also brought along our 10 year old dog for his first ever backpacking trip! Given the somewhat advanced years of our hound we took advantage of off season tranquility and opted for the short loop of 20 Lakes Basin out of Saddlebag Lake (reservoir).

IMG_2714.jpeg
The food lay out is always one of my favorite parts of the trip.
IMG_2726.jpeg
Setting out!
Car was very low on battery by the time we climb all the way up to the 10,000ft trailhead but by our calculations we should be able to recharge them enough on the long decent back down 120 to get to a charger.
IMG_2806.jpeg
Dino and North Peak: a majestic duo.
IMG_2801.jpeg
IMG_2817.jpeg
We camped two nights between cascade and steelhead lake, no one else around although I imagine this area must be crawling with people and or mosquitoes in other months. First night we woke up to frozen water bottles but the second was significantly warmer. Saw one solo alpanist heading for an accent of north peak and some day hikers but no else camped anywhere in the basin.
IMG_2835.jpeg
IMG_2827.jpeg
What was left of my fishing confidence was utterly shattered on this trip. Looking down into the deep water along Steelhead’s cliffs I could easily see at least a dozen large trout circling. They seemed to appreciate the entertainment value that my Panther Martin being retrieved through their midst provided and would gather around and follow it. But. Never. Ever. Bite.
Sighhhh. Perhaps I need to learn to fly fish…
IMG_2870.jpeg
Nice steep day hike up to a very snowbound Secret Lake.
IMG_2881.jpeg
This solar charger is one of my favorite and most reliable pieces of gear and also cheapest!
IMG_2897.jpeg
IMG_2913.jpeg
IMG_2917.jpeg
Specifically thank you to @Harlen for the renateralization work out here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: 20 Lakes Basin (October 17-20): Pulling dad out of retirement.

Post by paula53 »

Thank you for that trip report. It looks like your father and you really enjoyed that trip. Good weather, stellar scenery , and good company. That's what good memories are made of.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Greaet report! Those trout are always difficult late in the season. The water is crystal clear, and they've seen four or five months of fishermen. Don't take it personally!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

AidanDawn2000 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:26 amCar was very low on battery by the time we climb all the way up to the 10,000ft trailhead but by our calculations we should be able to recharge them enough on the long decent back down 120 to get to a charger.
I'm glad I'm not the only one obnoxiously driving 20 mph down the hill, trying to eek out some more range.

I'm always surprised the 20 Lakes Basin doesn't get as much attention, despite starting very high and taking you to alpine scenery fairly quickly.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

One reason the area may not get much attention is that until later in the season, it is one of the worst places in the Sierra for mosquitoes. I have encountered many day-hikers but fewer backpackers. You have to go off-trail to get to adjacent locations. Also, very restricted legal camping. It is on Roper's High Route- I stopped there when I did it, but I think most who do the route just pass through.