Question about walk-up permits in Inyo

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Question about walk-up permits in Inyo

Post by Midnight Sun »

Hi all,

The permitting website for Inyo National Forest says: "Reserve Walk-Up 40% of quota online 2 weeks before the trip."

What does this mean? Do "walk-ups" actually need to be reserved online 2 weeks ahead of time? Or do you get your walkup at the station 2 weeks ahead of time? I thought walk-ups were day-of. We were hoping to get a couple permits for the River Trail by walking up early in the AM to the Mammoth Welcome Center at 8am on our day of entry.

Any input is appreciated.

Conor
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Question about walk-up permits in Inyo

Post by balzaccom »

I THINK what it means is that you can apply for the remaining 40% of the permits no more than 14 days before the date of your trip...and that they are going to be issued on a first come, first served basis.

So if you want a "walk-up" permit for July 14, you should apply for one on July 1, and hope you are among the first in line...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

yes walk ups go on recreation.gov at 7am 2 weeks before.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You can get a walk-up permit anytime in the 2-week window, however, in peak season they are mostly gone by that time for the popular trailheads. Also, you have to print out your permit before it is considered final. Not sure, but I think this has to be done 3 days in advance or 24 hrs? Check the Inyo website about this. If you do not print your permit before the deadline, it is cancelled and put back into the bucket of walk-ups. So, it pays to check reserve.gov often; you may be able to get one of these cancelled permits. Check on cancelled reserved permits too.

I just got a walk-up for Yosemite 3 days in advance (they have the "3-day before" limit) for a trip starting this Monday. There were lots of permits left for all trailheads. Not sure why because this is the prime time for Yosemite rim hikes. Talked to the ranger, and even if there are unused permits one or two days in advance, you cannot get them.

I also got an oddball cancelled Inyo permit in June for Bishop Pass. It just showed up one day, so I took it. What I do then, is just put in some generic itinerary for 10 days, then go back and change it later when I figure out my actual trip plan. Once you print the permit you cannot change it.
TomC
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TomC »

Does this mean that if I walk into a Ranger station and the quota is not filled I still won't be able to get a "walk-up" permit for the day I walk in? The very definition of walk-up, right? I was about to drive south to hike over Duck Lake Pass on Tuesday, presuming a permit for a solo would be available this late in the year. Wandering Daisy (or anyone that knows the answer) can you clarify -- true day-of walk-ups are not being issued anymore, even if the quota is not met?

Thanks!
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

It's really a terrible change to walk up system as we've just added to the number of permits that can be reserved and the person never show.

But yeah - 2 weeks is now a second release of permit availability.
TomC
Topix Newbie

Post by TomC »

Thanks, Ray, but I'm still looking for a direct answer to this question -- Will Rangers refuse to issue you a permit if you walk into the Ranger Station and the quota is not filled? In other words, do Ranger Stations no longer issued permits in person?
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

TomC wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:06 am Will Rangers refuse to issue you a permit if you walk into the Ranger Station and the quota is not filled? In other words, do Ranger Stations no longer issued permits in person?
I don't know. I've had pretty good luck calling the ranger station with questions like this.

The web site for Inyo says:

In Person Service
Check for open hours before you go to the visitor center. In person services includes the chance to ask questions in person, rent a bear can, or purchase maps and guide books.

Note that it doesn't say you can get a permit there. Also, definitely check the hours. I went once and they were closed for lunch. I mean, I like Bishop, but I would have rather started hiking. But if you print a permit ahead of time you don't need to go there at all. With other NFs, you do, such as Sierra. I think.
TomC
Topix Newbie

Post by TomC »

Yeah, it's no longer summer schedule, so they aren't around today. I'll call tomorrow. I decided to check out Rec.gov and interestingly, I was able to make a reservation for Tuesday, pay, and print my permit. It identified my deadline as Tuesday morning. Anyway, I was hoping to avoid paying to use the backcountry, but I want to go, and this seems to have worked. $11 isn't that bad I guess.

Thanks to everyone that replied.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

I did not pull a Wilderness Permit from Inyo NF this year but did from Sierra NF a couple of weeks ago.

Before leaving home I checked for availability and noticed there was plenty available so decided to just bypass Rec.Gov, save the $11 and do it all at the NF office.

When I walked up to the desk in Prather, I was informed they no longer issue permits directly at the desk so I would have to go through Rec.Gov and come back in in with a Reservation # before they could give me the physical paper permit and oh BTW, cell phone service is best outside in the parking lot.

So that's what I did, 10 minutes later I was $11 poorer but I walked back into the office and the Ranger was now able to give me the Permit and I was on my way. This may be old news but thought I would share it anyway since I think every NF has enough autonomy to decide on how they wish to issue Permits and its worth a phone call to their HQ to verify the procedure.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien